cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My images got corrupted,I need help

arianthehunter
Apprentice
I was shooting photos of a model with a rented canon 6d mark 2.I was caoturing photos in both raw and jpeg format.After I transferred photos from my camera's sd card with cable,somehow most of my photos got corrupted while saving them in a folder in desktop.The most awkward thing is every corrupted files are displaying their size at 3.66gb .I know,it's ridiculous. I have never heard of this problem before.Tried repairing them with several softwares,none worked.Any idea what to do with these corrupted photos?
4 REPLIES 4

amfoto1
Authority

Do you still have the images on the memory card? Can you try downloading via a card reader, instead of the USB cable? (Instead of trying to repair what's already been downloaded.)

Are both RAW and JPEG files corrupted, or is it just one or the other file type?

If only the JPEGs are corrupt, you can always make new ones from the RAW files. Just download Canon's Digital Photo Pro software and it can be used to make JPEGs from CR2 identical to what the camera was set to save (use "as shot"). Or you canadjust the CR2 files to taste, if needed. (You could also tweak RAW files and make JPEGs from them with Lightroom, Photoshop, Elements, etc... but won't be able to do "as shot".)

It's probably unrelated, but I wouldn't recommend saving images in a folder on your desktop. In many cases, a large number of images files on the desktop will bog down the computer and cause it to run slowly.  Put the folder elsewhere on your computer.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

arianthehunter
Apprentice
Hello,
I don't have those photos anymore on the card.I just cut and pasted photos from sd card into folder.
Both raw and jpeg files are corrupted except a few ones.

What software are you using to determine they are corrupt? Have you tried reading the raws in DPP?

You know this now, but never let the computer delete the files. Make sure the transfer went OK and then remove them from the card, preferably by re-formatting the card in the camera.

@arianthehunter wrote:
Hello,
I don't have those photos anymore on the card.I just cut and pasted photos from sd card into folder.
Both raw and jpeg files are corrupted except a few ones.

Ouch!

Never, ever "move" photos off a memory card. Instead, always "copy" them.

Doing this leaves the originals on the card until you can confirm the transfer has been 100% successful and all the images are safe and secure on your computer (and hopefully also have backed up all your images for add'l security because sooner or later the drives you're storing them on will die... it's not a matter of if.... it's just a matter of when).

Just leave the orignals on the memory card until the next time you go to shoot  and format the card in camera, which will not actually "erase" the old files, but will mark them as "okay to overwrite".

I'm a  big proponent of having multiple memory cards, too... not just one or two large ones. Cards are so cheap now, there's little reason to have to immediately reuse one. 

Personally I share 18 memory cards among three cameras. I choose sizes that hold 500 or, at most, 1000 RAW files. I don't need all of those cards on any given day's shoot, by any means. (In fact, that would be over 10,000 RAWs, which is way more than I'd ever want to have to download and edit!) But by having plenty of extra cards I also am not rushed to get them downloaded and put them back in the camera right away for use. I shoot 25,000 to 30,000 images a year and fill up about 1 TB of hard drive per year.

I really don't know what to suggest about the corrupted images. I've used a free image recovery software from Lexar in the past.... called Image Rescue... worked fine on a memory card that was accidentally formatted (but hadn't yet been used, no new images had overwritten the old ones). But that software didn't work on some corrupt images on a hard drive. Sandisk also has "Recuva", which is similar, so I wouldn't expect it to work on your files, either.

Probably all you can do is reshoot.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Announcements