cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm still new just got my 70D ..

Dirkster
Apprentice

..for my new 70D what settings are best for close up pic's ?

Thank you,

Dirk

2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

How "close" and what lens are you using?

All lenses have a "minimum" focus distance -- a subject closer than that distance will not come ot focus no matter what settings you choose.  

The lens specs will indicate the distance and that distance is from the camera's sensor position... not the front of the lens (there's a focus plane mark on the top of the camera which looks like a circle with a line drawn through it to mark the position.)

To get closer than the minimum focus distance you have numerous options...

At the very low cost end of things you can get close-up "diopters" (aka "close up filters") which thread onto the front of the lens.  These are sort of like eye-glasses for far-sighted people in that they let you achieve focus at closer distances than normally possible.  But the down-side is that they are usually single-element lenses which means they distort near the edges.

Another low-cost option is to puchase "extension tubes".  These are hollow barrels which are inserted between the camera body and lens and they have no glass in them at all.  But by positioning the lens farther away the entire focus range of the lens is shifted nearer -- allowing you to get closer to a subject.  The downside is that the entire focus range is shifted which means not only is the closest focusing distance closer... the farthest focus distance (normally infinity) is ALSO closer and the lens no longer focuses to infinity unless you remove the extension tube.

Some cheaper tubes do not pass through the electronic signals between camera body and lens (so everything has to be done manually and you lose control over things such as aperture setting.)  Better tubes has electronic contacts and they pass through the signal so everything still works.

At the high end you can get a true "macro" lens such as the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM or the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM.  I use the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM.  These allow very close focusing distance to achieve true "1:1" scale (object size projected on sensor is as large as object is in real life) photography.  There are many "true" macro lens options.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"..for my new 70D what settings are best for close up pic's ?"

Your camera will set the correct "settings" for close ups.  Just like any other lens.  If you get a lens as Tim is suggesting, you will have to do some exposure compensations.  But if you are using your normal lens or even a macro, the camera will get it right.  Most of the time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements