Did you mean: 

How to set up rear focus on 1dx mark2 please

canonman1
Apprentice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority

In general, to set up back button focus you need to:

1. disable the AF Start function for the shutter button press - choose the start metering option

2. assign a back button to activate the AF Start function.  If you are using the AF-On button then you can skip this step (just do # 1).  Here's the procedure to do this (page 443 of the manual):

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"rear focus"?

Do you mean back button focus?

If yes, just reasign the button in the menu.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Setting up BBF, back button focus, is a little complicated because it involves two steps, not just one.  In addition to setting up the "AF-ON" button to start the AF system, most people also reconfigure the shutter button to NOT start the AF system.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support?tab=manuals

Use that link to download a copy of the Instruction Manual.  The instrucitons to customize buttons begins on page 443.  Details about setting the "AF Start" and "Metering Start" functions can be found on page 448.

If you need further assistance, I suggest contacting Canon Support at 1-800-OK-CANON.  There are some choices that need to be made.  Like I said, it is a little complicated, because setting up BBF involves more than one button.  And, reconfiguring the buttons means that you could lose the default functionality that was in assigned to the button before you changed it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This page is from the 1D MArk IV manual. Your camera probably has a similar feature.

You can register Custom Function Settings. One setting could be basic camera out of the box. Second could be back button focus with focus removed from shteer button. Then you could switch between them. Very powerful option.

Capture.JPG

I don't want to sound snarky, but you've got a very expensive, powerful machine. You need to spend time reading the manual to take advantage of what it has to offer.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"I don't want to sound snarky, but you've got a very expensive, powerful machine. You need to spend time reading the manual to take advantage of what it has to offer."

That was my thoughts, too, but I was afraid to say so.  But I certainly agree.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I don't want to sound snarky, but you've got a very expensive, powerful machine. You need to spend time reading the manual to take advantage of what it has to offer."

That was my thoughts, too, but I was afraid to say so.  But I certainly agree.

That's exactly why I didn't post any quotes from the manual.  I posted a link to the manual and page numbers. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

diverhank
Authority

In general, to set up back button focus you need to:

1. disable the AF Start function for the shutter button press - choose the start metering option

2. assign a back button to activate the AF Start function.  If you are using the AF-On button then you can skip this step (just do # 1).  Here's the procedure to do this (page 443 of the manual):

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

canonman1
Apprentice
Thank you all for the info
Announcements