cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D Manual Recording Exposure Problem

aburk3
Apprentice

Problem: When taking video in manually inside and pointing the camera outside, everything goes white. This is of course because of the shutter-speed/aperture/iso. I don't however know how to change these settings WHILE recording in a quick manner. My first idea was to simply "scroll" the shutter to a reasonable level, but this caused a loud clicking noise. Next was to hit Q and change the shutter that way. This took too long since the way to adjust the shutter is an arrow that you have to repeatedly click rather than a scroll option like with the ISO. Is there a more pragmatic way to do this without switching to a priority mode of some sort?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@aburk3 wrote:

Problem: When taking video in manually inside and pointing the camera outside, everything goes white. This is of course because of the shutter-speed/aperture/iso. I don't however know how to change these settings WHILE recording in a quick manner. My first idea was to simply "scroll" the shutter to a reasonable level, but this caused a loud clicking noise. Next was to hit Q and change the shutter that way. This took too long since the way to adjust the shutter is an arrow that you have to repeatedly click rather than a scroll option like with the ISO. Is there a more pragmatic way to do this without switching to a priority mode of some sort?

Thanks

Moving from the relative dimness of being indoors, to the bright outdoor sunshine is a challenge for any videographer.  It's hard for photographers, too.  The problem for videographers is that changing ISO is done in discrete steps, which can be very noticeable when shooting video.  So, adjusting ISO on the fly is usually not an option.

You are usually left with adjusting shutter speed or aperture when shooting video.  Your available range of shutter speeds can be somewhat limited when shooting video.  Adjusting aperture can alter your depth of field.  Cinema lenses have declicked aperture rings, meaning they have a smooth continuous adjustment range, instead of discrete steps.  

So, what do you do?  The best answer is going to depend upon what lens you're using, and how much light you're dealing with.  You take some light measurements and find a compromise.  You may want to use Tv or Av modes, instead of shooting in manual.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
Just use auto ISO!

@TTMartin wrote:
Just use auto ISO!

He just might be right about that.  

I haven't experimented with the 80D enough to know if it can smoothly change ISO setting in video mode, instead of switching in discrete steps like most cameras would do.  It would not surprise, at all, if the 80D could smoothly transition from one ISO setting to another, instead of switching from one state to the next, which can cause a type of flicker.  After all, the only thing that is really occurring is that the gain of the signal from the image sensor is being varied.

[EDIT]. One caution about using Auto ISO mode, that he didn't mention.  I think he intends for you to use manual mode, not Av or Tv mode.  This allows the camera to only adjust one leg of the exposure triangle.  Using Auto ISO in Av or Tv mode gives the camera control over two legs, and you have less control over the end results.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
Yes, auto-ISO in manual mode.
Announcements