cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80d Is there a way to adjust exposure while shooting a timelapse video?

ecschwierske
Apprentice

I'm trying to capture a timelapse of a sunrise. The problem is while shooting with the built-in timelapse feature on the 80d, the camera seems to lock the exposure while taking the timelapse. I was shooting in Av mode hoping that as the sun rose, the camera would adjust shutter speed and ISO automatically. This was not the case. I'm wondering if under any of the settings will the camera adjust during the timelapse as it would while shooting regular video?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

diverhank
Authority

It's not possible to alter the exposure (which is the one at the start of your sequence) during the built-in camera time lapse.  That's the way the 80D was designed, unfortunately.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Let the camera adjust only one exposure parameter, shutter speed.  Dial in a fixed ISO setting in Av mode.  Depending upon how dark it is when you start, how light it is when you finish, and your desired interval between frames, it will most likely be necessary for you to adjust the ISO at least once as the sky brightens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

diverhank
Authority

It's not possible to alter the exposure (which is the one at the start of your sequence) during the built-in camera time lapse.  That's the way the 80D was designed, unfortunately.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

Ah!  Built-in.  I was thinking external intervalometer.  I suppose if you used a manual focus lens, which had an aperture control, you could probably do it.  Focus at hyperfocal distance, and then stop down the aperture at a regular interval as the sun came up. 

[EDIT]  Either way, built-in or not, it is almost a prerequisite that you adjust the exposure during a time lapse of a sunrise or sunset at some point.  One clever, "hands free" solution is to use two cameras, mounted very close to one another, each with a different exposure setting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ecschwierske
Apprentice
Thanks guys!
Announcements