cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX Mark II Shutter Issue?

fharris1977
Apprentice

I was wondering if one of the many experts could help me. I have started shooting my 1DX in burst mode as of late and I noticed depending on if I use the viewfinder vs the display screen the speed is decreased in how many shots can be taken. Also I noticed that when my lens when on AF regardless if  the camera is viewfinder or lcd the speed of the shots are not concistant..as if the autofocus is messing up on the camera or lens? I am not sure if there is an issue with the lense or something wrong with the camera itself.

If I remove the lense of the camera body it will rapid fire without issue only when I mount the Canon 70/200 III on it does it seem to have the issue. I do not remember this being a issue in the past. Current the body has I believe 33000 reveals on it.

Any advice would be great. I have already reset the camera to default setting to see if it was something I have done. The camera seems to be having issues when the lense is set in AF as if the motor or the lense itself is having issue.

I thank you for all the help!

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What happens if you switch the lens to MF?  It should fire the shutter just as rapidaly as if there were no lens.

Yes, the the frame rate can slow down because of the AF settings, and the subject.  Battery level can slow it down,, too, although I do not think this is the case here.

Sounds like normal camera behavior to me.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

heavy post processing like DLO can slow it down, too.

Maybe you don't have correction factors for the lens that is at full speed.

Thank you for the reply. I usually dont shoot in burst mode..but my kids were popping fireworks and I was think it may be interesting to give it a try. I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with the lense or camera itself. I was concerned when I could not get even a single shot off..but that would make sense if the AF is enabled it will not fire a shot off if the camera deems its out of focus correct?

Yup, in that case the AF controlled the camera. But in burst shooting several things do enter into the procedure.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@fharris1977 wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I usually dont shoot in burst mode..but my kids were popping fireworks and I was think it may be interesting to give it a try. I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with the lense or camera itself. I was concerned when I could not get even a single shot off..but that would make sense if the AF is enabled it will not fire a shot off if the camera deems its out of focus correct?

Is the camera in AI Servo AF, or One Shot AF focusing mode?  If you are in Continuous Drive mode, then you want AI Servo.

Ah I believe it is in One Shot AF focus mode. Thank you! I will test that as well

OK verified it is in AI servo mode. There is a drastic difference in burst speed when the lense is on for sure..even when it was focused it started fast then bogged down after about 15shots then sped up again. Could there be an issue with the lens or the actual motor in the camera? I am shooting in JPG and the slow down begins in the 20click mark. So I am under the cache limit

@fharris1977 wrote:

OK verified it is in AI servo mode. There is a drastic difference in burst speed when the lense is on for sure..even when it was focused it started fast then bogged down after about 15shots then sped up again. Could there be an issue with the lens or the actual motor in the camera? I am shooting in JPG and the slow down begins in the 20click mark. So I am under the cache limit

There is not motor in the camera.  It is all electronic memory.  Your Camera and AF settings can have a significant impact on buffering.  What happened when you turned off AF on the lens, and set it to MF?

I still think there is nothing really wrong.  What is the maximum burst size displayed on th INFO screen, see item 24.

31951ED9-64D0-4328-8C4E-D5930FE527E3.jpeg

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Sounds like normal camera behavior to me."

I agree with that.  There are several things that affect burst shooting.  The fact it works without a lens tells me the camera is fine.  It is just doing its thing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements