cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility doesn't see EOS 5D Mark IV on macOS Sonoma 14.3

stanfdfn
Contributor

On MacOS Sonoma 14.3 the EOS Webcam app installs and runs. However, it cannot see my EOS 5D Mark IV. The workaround described in another forum for the Legacy Camera Fix in Sonoma 14.1 DOES NOT WORK.

@Canon, when will the Webcam software be updated to comply with Apple's currently required protocols so it works? I need a high-quality webcam for meetings and I'm extremely disappointed I can't use any Canon product (I also have an M200 I want to use). HELP PLEASE! 

What is the timing and plan to address the Macintosh user base?

4 REPLIES 4

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello stanfdfn,

Let's start by making sure that the WIFI is disabled on the camera. Also try using a different USB port if you are still having a problem. Make sure the camera is plugged directly into the computer, not a hub or anything of that nature. We would recommend exiting and closing any applications that may be running on your computer, or in your task tray that may be connected to your camera or using the camera’s LiveView video signal. For example: Canon's EOS Utility or an application connected to the camera like another video conferencing app. When you connect the camera, there is an icon in the top right corner of your computer screen for EOS Utility. Make sure that you close that. It will keep the Webcam Utility from connecting to the camera. You may want to call our phone support if the problem continues. Phone support is available, Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET and Saturday between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET. They can be reached at 1-800-652-2666 if you would like to give them a call. 

WiFi is disabled on both my 5DMark IV and M200. I am connecting to a MacBook Pro M1 chip which only has USB-C ports and therefore I MUST use a port hub - no choice. The Mac sees the LogiTech Webcam no problem as well as my Blue Yeti microphone. I only have WebCam installed - no EOS utility.

I think this is a problem with the drivers not communicating with MacOS Sonoma 14.3. All works fine with my Windows 11 machine.

Other than calling support, what do you have to offer?

@stanfdfn wrote:

WiFi is disabled on both my 5DMark IV and M200. I am connecting to a MacBook Pro M1 chip which only has USB-C ports and therefore I MUST use a port hub - no choice. The Mac sees the LogiTech Webcam no problem as well as my Blue Yeti microphone. I only have WebCam installed - no EOS utility.

I think this is a problem with the drivers not communicating with MacOS Sonoma 14.3. All works fine with my Windows 11 machine.

Other than calling support, what do you have to offer?

Are you using a passive or active hub?  Hubs are generally not recommended.  If you do be sure to use an active hub.

Some users have “fixed” similar issue by changing to a better quality USB cable that has noise reducing in baluns a few inches away from the connector(s). 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

stanfdfn
Contributor

I am using an Active hub and must because my MacBook Pro only has USB-C ports. I uninstalled the EOS WebCam software, rebooted, reinstalled, and now everything is working. My guess: a driver was corrupted on install somehow. NB: I restarted twice after using the Uninstaller to ensure all system-level files were cleared out.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements