cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility 2.0 Instructions Fail To Inform Users to Start Camera First

HansenJC
Contributor

I did not see any instructions for the EOS Webcam Utility 2.0 that specifically said to start the camera before the software. In fact the software reminds the users to make sure the camera is turned on, but that's already too late because the software is already running.
Trial and error allowed me to deduce that the camera must be connected and turned on before the software is turned on. The software is unable to connect to the camera when the camera is turned on after the utility is running.
This is one of several issues that I encountered when attempting to make maximum use of this utility. The documentation appears to me to have never been tested by users who would have surely provided feedback on this issue before I encountered it.

For the record, the operating system is Windows 11. Is it possible that the operating system has some influence over the functionality of the EOS Webcam Utility 2.0?

21 REPLIES 21

Device Driver?

OK, so I have been referring to the Canon EOS WebCam Utility 2.0 as software.
So now, let's talk about device drivers. Everyone's computer is full of device drivers and I have never experienced a need to activate or initiate a device driver that has been installed over the years. And yet now it seems that Canon has created a WebCam Utility that is actually a device driver and not a piece of software. I can deal with the difference in the name, but what I can't comprehend is the fact that nowhere in the documentation did it ever say that the camera must be on, and connected, and set to the right mode, prior to the user initiating the device driver.
(So sorry that all of my prior references were to a piece of software that I didn't know was a device driver. I have always been talking about the Canon EOS WebCam utility 2.0 I have ONLY been talking about the Canon EOS Webcam Utility 2.0 when I used the word "software".) 

It sounds like your issue is with the third party apps, not the Canon Webcam Utility. What instructions does your third party app say regarding a USB webcam?  When does it tell you to turn on the webcam?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hello Waddizzle and Stephen. This would be a good time to recognize the fact that there are no instructions for version 2.0. And given the fact that I am now paying for a subscription, where can I learned the requirements for using multiple cameras? It makes me wonder that if I chose to have multiple cameras, would I be required to have all cameras operational before the software is started, or whether the software would be forgiving enough to allow each camera to be added separately in sequence after the software is running.
If you can identify specific instructions for the latest version 2.0 I'm eager to read it.

@HansenJC wrote:

Hello Waddizzle and Stephen. This would be a good time to recognize the fact that there are no instructions for version 2.0. And given the fact that I am now paying for a subscription, where can I learned the requirements for using multiple cameras? It makes me wonder that if I chose to have multiple cameras, would I be required to have all cameras operational before the software is started, or whether the software would be forgiving enough to allow each camera to be added separately in sequence after the software is running.
If you can identify specific instructions for the latest version 2.0 I'm eager to read it.

If by “starting the software” you are referring to starting a third party app, then I suggest that you refer to the documentation for the third party app that you seem to be referring to.

Good luck.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The 18-page PDF I linked to above is for the EOS Webcam Utility Pro (which is the CURRENT version of the streaming utility). It goes into great detail as to how to use multiple cameras. 

If you have any further questions, please get in touch with phone support at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) Monday through Friday from 9am to 9pm (ET) and Saturday from 8am to 7pm (ET). 

Hello Stephen,
the link that you shared takes me to a website not to a document I'm not sure what the issue is, unless it is simply an issue of too much clutter surrounding a link to a document. But in 18 page PDF cannot be found on that link. I've tried. Really I've tried. Tomorrow I will call the 800 number. But an 18 page PDF doesn't exist in my viewer. I've click that link multiple times. All I see is advertising. Am I using the wrong web browser? Sites like this are often times cluttered with marketing links and are quite deliberate at obfuscating the real meat and potatoes.
I don't go willy-nilly clicking on things that say download now when the entire Internet spends all its efforts on getting everyone to click on things they don't want to see. Okay I'll bite. I'll click on the link that says download now and see if I get lucky or get scammed. I am no longer as trusting as most people are these days. And what do I get? The download gets me the same installation package for the software, but inside that zip file I do not see any 18 page PDF users manual.

Here is the exact text from the user guide:

At no time does it say to turn on the camera BEFORE starting the EOS Webcam Utility 2.0. In fact, it never says that the camera must be turned on.

HOW TO INSTALL:
1. Once the download is complete, locate the “EOSWebcamUtilityPro-WIN2.X.zip” in your computer’s “Down-
loads” folder.
2. Double-click the .zip file.
3. After opening and extracting the .zip file, open the folder labeled “EOSWebcamUtilityPro-WIN2.X”.
4. Read the Readme . txt file then double-click the “Setup . exe” file and run the installer.
5. Follow the installer instruction and install the software.
6. Once complete the installation, it is important to save any documents that you may be working on, close all
applications that you have running and then restart your computer.

HOW TO SETUP:
1. Once restarted, using your USB cable, connect one end of the USB cable to your camera, and
then connect the other end to your computer. A direct connection to the computer is
recommended.

INSTALLATION & SETUP

1. Set your camera to [Movie Mode]. Use your camera’s Mode Dial, Mode Switch or Mode Button interface.
    3. Lastly, open your web conferencing/streaming app of choice. Find the [Audio/video settings] menu and set “EOS Webcam Utility Pro” as the camera of choice. Confirm that your computer’s built-in microphone is selected as your “microphone”
    Optimal settings are a resolution of [Full-HD] and a frame rate of [29.97P] (30P). If your camera doesn’t have a [29.97P] (30P) setting, selecting [23.98P] (24P) will also work
    Audio is not transmitted from the camera.

HansenJC
Contributor

What I found when I downloaded the file called "Getting Started" is that the name of the file is called "how to subscribe". So naturally, I thought it was downloading the wrong file rather than the actual User Guide. I had already subscribed. So the issue was that the file name for the 18 page PDF file didn't appear to me to be the file I was looking for so I did not open it.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hello HansenJC. 

I have several PC's running windows 11.  I've not had the same experience as you.  Although I typically use a card reader, I have left both of my cameras powered off but connected directly to a USB port on my laptops, desktops, etc.  They detect and connect when powered on.  They are also recognized by 3rd party apps when powered.  If by chance you are using a hub, adapter or are connecting through another peripheral, I would suggest connecting the camera directly to an available USB port.  Let's move forward.  Steps 18, 19 and 20 are clear.  Connect the camera.  Put the camera into Movie Mode, Start your preferred 3rd party application.  You now have the instructions for connecting and a tested method for using the webcam utility.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements