cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6S with memory card access problems???

Eirhead
Apprentice

I bought a new Rebel T6S 2 days ago, I also purchased 2 promaster 64GB memory cards to go with it. Once I take maybe about a dozen pictures, the camera seems to have major issues writing to the memory cards. One the problem starts happening, it can take up to 2 minutes to save 1 picture... if it saves at all. I don't even have raw enabled right now. I can temporarily aleviate the problem by formatting the card, which seems to make it ok for about the next 10-30 pictures. But then the problem happens again, and no amount of fiddling seems to fix problem until I reformat the card.

Like I said, I have 2 different SD cards, and both cards are giving me the same problem. They are identical brands, but I wouldn't imagine a high-end camera shop would be recommending me these SD cards if there was known issues with them. Although, that's why I'm posting here with such info. The battery is 3 bars, completely full, the camera hasn't even taken 150 pictures yet. I couldn't find any firmware updates for the camera, so I'm running out of ideas besides exchanging the camera body as I'm beginning to believe it's faulty.

8 REPLIES 8

ScottyP
Authority

Since both of your cards are identical it does make one wonder if a totally different card might work. Do you have other cards, or can you borrow one from a friend?  Or try a totally different card out at the camera shop?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Did you low-level

format the cards before you began using them to save photos?  If not, then you should.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes I've done low level formats. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I take a bunch of pictures, and eventually always within the first 50-100 photos, it stops saving to the memory card. I put my memory card in a computer and 6 out of the last 10 pictures were corrupt, and now the camera won't save pictures to that card anymore unless I reformat it. It's really beginning to piss me off - I think it's an issue with camera body except that I haven't been able to try a different memory card yet.

But maybe I'll try doing a low-level format with my computer first instead. The computer seems to take more time doing it, so maybe it'll do a better job cleaning up the card. I'll periodically post back here with my results until I figure it out.

@Eirhead wrote:

But maybe I'll try doing a low-level format with my computer first instead. The computer seems to take more time doing it, so maybe it'll do a better job cleaning up the card. I'll periodically post back here with my results until I figure it out.

What is the capacity of the card?  I try not to use cards over 32GB, or SDXC cards.  Card capactiy determines the type of formatting, FAT32 or exFAT, that should be used. 

Are you using a microSD card with an adapter?  Only use full size cards. Adapters cause problems.  If you look inside of your instruction manual, you will see several types of SD cards listed.  You do not see microSD listed among compatible types.

What brand of card are you using?  Stick to name brands like Lexar or Sandisk.

Finally, I would buy a new card.  Anyway, it doesn't hurt to have a spare.

What is the capacity of the card?

64GB SDXC

Are you using a microSD card with an adapter?

No

What brand of card are you using? 

Promaster... I don't know if they're a good brand or not, but the camera store I was at was only selling them.

Finally, I would buy a new card.  Anyway, it doesn't hurt to have a spare

So far so good on the computer format. I've taken about 100+ photos this morning without fail. It just burns me, I was out on a trip into the mountains and stopped for a particular shot, and then I get back home and all those pictures were corrupted. It can work good for awhile, but I should expect the camera to be able to fill a memory card without any hassle shouldn't I? If the problem re-occurs, I'll go and try a 32GB card from a different brand I suppose. I wasn't really expecting to have to dump my memory card every 500MB worth of photos when I bought a couple 64 gig cards.

But ya, like I said, the computer takes about 45 minutes to an hour to do a "low-level format" while the camera does a "low level format" in like 20-30 seconds. So I'm not really sure how "low-level" that format actually is. I'm hopeful the computer format will solve my issues.

@Eirhead wrote:

What is the capacity of the card?

64GB SDXC

Are you using a microSD card with an adapter?

No

What brand of card are you using? 

Promaster... I don't know if they're a good brand or not, but the camera store I was at was only selling them.

Finally, I would buy a new card.  Anyway, it doesn't hurt to have a spare

So far so good on the computer format. I've taken about 100+ photos this morning without fail. It just burns me, I was out on a trip into the mountains and stopped for a particular shot, and then I get back home and all those pictures were corrupted. It can work good for awhile, but I should expect the camera to be able to fill a memory card without any hassle shouldn't I? If the problem re-occurs, I'll go and try a 32GB card from a different brand I suppose. I wasn't really expecting to have to dump my memory card every 500MB worth of photos when I bought a couple 64 gig cards.

But ya, like I said, the computer takes about 45 minutes to an hour to do a "low-level format" while the camera does a "low level format" in like 20-30 seconds. So I'm not really sure how "low-level" that format actually is. I'm hopeful the computer format will solve my issues.

There are two basic ways to "format" a random access storage device, like a memory card or a disk.  A low level format is comparable to paving roads.  A regular format is comparable to painting the lanes and parking spaces on that road.  Your data is stored in parking spaces, or parking lots.

When the computer performs a low level format, it paves the roads, and paints the lines.  THEN, it will go through the entire memory storage media, and test every storage location.  If it finds any bad locations, those locations will get marked as unsuable, which is why it takes so long. 

I doubt if the camera goes through the memory card, and tests every storage byte on the card because it finishes to fast.

I have never used Promaster memory cards and am unfamiiar with them. I looked up and see they have 64GB in a fairly fast 600X, 90MB/sec version and also in a pretty slow 163X, 24MB/sec version. If yours is the former, that sounds like fast enough. If it's the latter, then it might be too slow for a 24MB camera like the T6S.

I mostly use Lexar and Sandisk.memory cards and have found them both highly reliable. Out of  probably more than 100 cards I've used probably thousands of times over the years,  I've only had two that were bad.... Both right from new. One the cameras wouldn't even recognize at all (an SD card)... The other worked once, then was dead and unrecognizable the same way (a CompactFlash card).

Lexar and Sandisk both have versions about as fast as that faster Promaste. They appear to even be less expensive on Amazon. There the fast Promaster is $50 and the slow stuff is $32. A pack of two 64GB Lexar SDXC UHS-1 633X is selling for $33.... While a Sandisk Extreme with similar specs, except it's UHS-3, is $25 per card. Sandisk's even better Extreme Pro are $36 apiece.

64GB is a very large card. I imagine a newer model camera like the T6S can handle it, but you might double check.

I hope after you formatted the card(s) in your computer, you re-formatted them again in your camera before using. That's always a good precaution. I format every card in-camera before every use.

How are you downloading the images? Are you using a card reader? That's usually the most dependable and fastest (better than connecting the camera to the computer with the USB cable). However, I have also had problems with a card reader when it was connected via a USB hub. I got a lot of corrupeted files. Re-connecting the card reader directly to the computer completely solved the problem. The reader I use now is built into my desk top (faster than a USB connected reader).

If you continue to have problems with the Promaster card(s), first thng I'd recommend is to try a different memory card. But if that doesn't resolve things, it could be a camera issue and you should contact Canon under their warranty program.

Sorry you're having the problems!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Announcements