cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back button AF mode issues with T3i

London
Apprentice

hi all,  first post here.

After seeing the virtues of BBF I successfully set my camera to do just that,  and focus has been taken away from the shutter release button.

What i really want to be able to do is tap the * button for one-shot and also be able to hold it down for AI servo but this is not working with my camera.  i have to decide between the two as it won't switch AF modes when i hold it down.

I have my first paying gig shooting youth baseball and I'm trying not to panic figuring this out.

Any help is very greatly appreciated.

camera:  T3i

Lense:  70-200 F4 L IS with canon 1.4 teleconverter

mode:  manual

thanks again!

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@London wrote:

hi all,  first post here.

After seeing the virtues of BBF I successfully set my camera to do just that,  and focus has been taken away from the shutter release button.

What i really want to be able to do is tap the * button for one-shot and also be able to hold it down for AI servo but this is not working with my camera.  i have to decide between the two as it won't switch AF modes when i hold it down.

I have my first paying gig shooting youth baseball and I'm trying not to panic figuring this out.

Any help is very greatly appreciated.

camera:  T3i

Lense:  70-200 F4 L IS with canon 1.4 teleconverter

mode:  manual

thanks again!

Sorry, but that capability is not available on the T3i.   Here are your choices.  It appears that Option 1 is BBF.  Option 0 is the default setting.  The way to read the chart is as follows.  The chart is describing the operation of two separate buttons.

Shutter / AE Lock Button =  A / B

A = What happens when the first button listed, the shutter, is pressed.

B = What happens when the second button listed, AE Lock, is pressed.

T3i_BBF.PNG

One shot mode will lock focus, and stay locked for as long as you hold down the shutter [AF] button.  In One Shot, you would need to release the button, in order to re-focus and lock it.  In Option 1, you could lock focus [One Shot Mode] on the pitcher, release the BBF button, and shoot away at the pitcher as he winds up.

Options 2 and 3 appear to only be effective in AI Servo Mode.  Option 3 is the closest to what you desire.  It starts and stops AI Servo operation.  When you release the [AE Lock] button, AI Servo stops, focus is locked at the last position.  A quick tap of the BBF button will cause the camera to try to acquire a target, and then lock focus.

Notice that activating AI Servo is a two step process: acquire, then lock.  It is not instantaneous, and it takes a moment or two to fully kick into gear.  One Shot is the same way, but AI Servo can take a beat longer to start tracking.

My advice is to stick to One Shot mode.  Go with what you know.  Learn how to pre-focus on the batter, the pitcher, or one of the bases, and anticipate where the play is going to be.  I pre-focus by aiming at the base, or the player's feet.  That way I do not lock focus on the background.  Use a WIDE aperture, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

waddizzle thank you so much,  I'm blown away with the speedy fantastic advice here.

AF one-shot it is!   any extra button manipulation is guaranteed to confuse me and lose precious shots.

hopefully will upgrade to 7D MKII this year which should be bueno for action shots.

@London wrote:

waddizzle thank you so much,  I'm blown away with the speedy fantastic advice here.

AF one-shot it is!   any extra button manipulation is guaranteed to confuse me and lose precious shots.

hopefully will upgrade to 7D MKII this year which should be bueno for action shots.

You're welcome.  Using a tripod, or a monopod, would be a good thing, too.  Good luck.  Me? I sit in a lawn chair with a tripod, about 20-30 feet outside of first base..

I'll be using monopod for sure.  Wish I could sit down but I'll be buzzing all over the place to get 10 shots per inning of every player.  Assuming you use the Sigma 150-600?  that's next on my wish list.  Most of my shots will be of static players but on occasion I'll be trying to catch a runner.  Should i use IS mode 1 or 2?

thanks again

@London wrote:

I'll be using monopod for sure.  Wish I could sit down but I'll be buzzing all over the place to get 10 shots per inning of every player.  Assuming you use the Sigma 150-600?  that's next on my wish list.  Most of my shots will be of static players but on occasion I'll be trying to catch a runner.  Should i use IS mode 1 or 2?

thanks again

Check the manual. Mode 1 is for normal camera shake when you trying to take a still.  Mode 2 is for panning horizontally. 

Actually, I use both the Sigma 150-600mm [6D], and the EF 100-400mm [T5].  I'm getting close to the same Angle-of-View from either setup.  For baseball, I have found that I prefer shots around 200mm - 400mm [6D].  I try to get a fixed spot 20-30 feet outside of first base.  Once I get up to 400mm, it is almost too much zoom.  The shots lose context.  But, that is just my personal taste.

I definitely need a tripod with either lens.  Ernie gave me the idea to use two cameras at the same time; one fixed, and one not fixed.  Wired remote to fire the fixed camera, which is aimed at a base, usually home plate. 

Don't spend too much time running around.  Find a good location, and stay there.  Move between innings, if you must.  For baseball, I prefer locations that allow the camera to be elevated at least 7-10 feet above the field, so I can shoot over heads.

excellent and thanks again.  I'm additionally handicapped as i grew up in Australia and we played cricket and soccer but so very little baseball.  Thank goodness for youtube and friendly folks as yourself.   Canon should kick you a commission!

Announcements