cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wide, low light camera gear for events/clubs

androzz
Apprentice

Hi folks, I have the opportunity to buy a completely new setup and I'm a bit stumped as to what to get! I'll mostly be working concerts and events but would love to be able to utilise non flash photography as much as possible.

Currently I'm looking at an R5 but probably overkill in could do with being sensible with my money factoring in new lenses. Maybe a 5D mk IV?

Any event photographers on here? Got any good suggestions with supporting arguments?

Cheers!

12 REPLIES 12

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If you have been looking at the chance to start afresh with your gear, I would suggest that going for an R-series body is the way - it is where the development and new tech is being invested.  DSLRs are still as good as they ever were, but there is not new gear coming out for that platform.

Since you think the R5 is a bit over the top pricewise, I would suggest the R6.  It has the same sensor essentially as the top-end 1DXMkIII DSLR, but has great new features like eye tracking.  It has a 20MP sensor that, while smaller than the R5, offers about 1 EV better dynamic range over the R5's 45MP sensor and that might be helpful for low-light work.  There is the R3, but that is significantly more expensive than the R5 and is designed more for sports and wildlife professionals.

Much depends on what you are going to produce.  If you are going to create for on-line or digital display, or reasonably small prints the 20MP should be more than adequate. 

The other big factor that you need to consider is lenses, and what you save on the body by going with the R6 instead of the R5 could wisely be spent on fast lenses to let you shoot in available light, as you indicate you wish to.  If you have good quality EF glass, then you can use it with the R-series bodies via an adapter (Canon makes 3 varieties).  Canon RF native glass is expanding reasonably fast - one of the benefits of the new platform -so it is worth browsing the line-up of lenses to see what works for your purposes.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Totally agree with Trevor.  If you are starting out new, then invest in the R series of cameras.  The R6 is a really good camera.  Canon L glass is where it is at.  But, there is a growing selection of RF “STM” prime lenses now.  There is a 50mm, 35mm, and a 16mm, and all whole set costs less than $1000 USD.

I think the ideal lens for shooting in night clubs might be RF 28-70mm f/2L USM.  If I had the money to spend, that would be my first choice.  Avoid the lenses with larger f/numbers.  .

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Bill.
I did actually consider the R7 and R10, but discounted them because their crop sensors are not going to be as high performing in low light situations, (where the R6 is particularly good) something I suspect might be an issue if the OP wants to shoot concerts etc. in available light. I also considered that the R5 was considered by the OP to be an option, so I am working on the understanding that they can afford the R6. 

I am not sure what is preferred as regards lenses, which is why I suggest the OP browse the available offerings. I think some of your suggestions may be good, but this is not my type of photography.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I would've suggested the EOS R since OP finds the R5 is not needed for what they do. Also the R5 with lenses is out of their budget.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Well... while the R5 is out of the budget area apparently, it is considerably more expensive than the R6, which has arguably the best low light sensor of the R-series bodies right now and has eye tracking - something that the R does not, but is very useful when photographing dynamic subjects like performers on stage.  While the R has 30MP, it does not have as good a dynamic range compared to the R6 and for stage work that would be critical.

Furthermore, the R6 has IBIS, while the R does not, and that will be useful when shooting in low light situations, when it will be likely the photographer cannot use a tripod or even a monopod as they move around the venue.  IBIS, combined with some fast glass could make all the difference in getting clean available light shots.

cheers, TREVOR

Since OP didn't mention a budget and said the R5 was too expensive. I was being more budget friendly for OP.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

amfoto1
Authority

I think androzz best bet is the R6 combined with some "fast glass".

I am assuming events/clubs means low light shooting and the R6 is the best choice for that. It's modest 20MP and full frame sensor make it one of the best low light cameras available. The ability to make images at high ISOs is complemented by the mirrorless camera's ability to focus in very low light conditions... Canon claims -6.5 EV, which is roughly 3.5 stops (more than 8X) lower light than any DSLR. The electronic viewfinder (EVF) will also be helpful shooting in low light, since it can brighten up the scene by enabling "exposure simulation". (The EVF also allows users to dial in settings while keeping their eye to the viewfinder.)

One drawback of a mirrorless camera like the R6 is fewer shots per battery charge than comparable DSLRs. The R6 uses the new, higher capacity LP-E6NH battery and is rated to get 380 shots using the EVF, which is a major drain on the battery. For comparison the Canon 6D Mark II DSLR with an optical viewfinder that uses little power is rated to get 1200 shots using an LP-E6N battery with approx. 15% less capacity than the LP-E6NH. (Note: Most users pretty easily get more shots than the rating.) However, there is optional BG-R10 battery grip available for the R6, which doubles battery capacity while also providing a useful vertical grip and secondary set of controls. (The APS-C R7 does not have option of fitting a battery grip. Plus the R7 does not offer the same low light/high ISO capability and cannot focus in as low light conditions as the R6.)

If concerned about the 20MP, I can tell you I've made high quality 11x14" prints from 6MP cameras and excellent 16x20" prints from 8MP (the trick is to avoid cropping as much as possible... to "fill the viewfinder" with your subject). You would have little trouble making excellent prints up to 16x24" with the images from a 20MP sensor, so long as you minimize cropping and post-process properly. If you need larger than that, well a higher MP camera might be better, but you will have a bit less high ISO/low light capability.

A challenge with R6 or any other camera will be getting "fast glass"... Large aperture RF mount lenses certainly are available, but they ain't cheap! An RF 28-70mm f/2L lens might be a dream zoom for low light shooting, but costs more than an R6 camera body with a BG-R10 grip! It's also rather large and heavy. The RF 15-35mm f/2.8L, RF 24-70mm f/2.8L and RF 70-200mm f/2.8L aren't quite as fast (one stop less), would make for a pretty complete, if a bit pricey kit.

A lower cost and faster approach might be smaller, lighter prime lenses such as the RF 24mm f/1.8, RF 35mm f/1.8, RF 50mm f/1.8, and RF 85mm f/2. There also are a number of EF lenses that can be adapted for use on the R6. The EF 20mm f/2.8, EF 24mm f/2.8, EF 35mm f/2, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 100mm f/2 and EF 35mm f/2L all come to mind. (There are some wonderful f/1.2 lenses in both EF and RF mount, too... although they are fairly large, heavy and expensive.)

Check out the R6. It might be the best choice for your purposes! The 24MP R3 that costs more than 2X as much is one of the few cameras with even better low light autofocus and high ISO capabilities!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

The R6 actually cost $200 less than the 5D Mark IV right now. Canon does offer some good F/1.2 lenses. The only thing I didn't like about EF 85mm F/1.2L II USM lens was the slow AF. The EF 85mm F/1.4L IS USM AF was much faster. Adapted EF lenses will work well to such as the EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM or EF 24-105mm F/4L IS II USM and the EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM. These are great zoom I have 2 of the 3 mentioned the 16-35mm and the 24-70mm. I've used the 70-200mm Mark II version but not the Mark III.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

The R6 actually cost $200 less than the 5D Mark IV right now. 

Not sure why that statement is relevant as we all seem to agree that the R-series bodies are the way to go - what is your connection there?

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements