cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

warranty question re new camera and lens kit

Maria
Enthusiast

Over boxing day i purchased a new Canon 6D with a kit lens (the 28-105mm).  I have a 28-70mm f/2.8 so was thinking of selling the 28-105mm that came as part of the kit ... BUUUUUT was wondering if that would in any way impact the camera warranty if something where to occur with the camera?  Haven't read the fine print but think the default is a one year warranty from Canon Canada.... should i hang on to the lens 'just in case' for that long or can i sell to try to pay for the purchase  😉 

8 REPLIES 8

cicopo
Elite

The camera body has it's own warranty so you can sell the lens but once sold it's warranty is over according to everything I've read. Warranty isn't transferable on Canon or Nikon but can be on some store bought policies.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You lens should have a separate warranty card. As long as you leave it blank, the next person will be granted the full Canon  warranty.

At least the 24-105mm f4 L that comes with the 5D Mk III has seperate warranty cards.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"You lens should have a separate warranty card. As long as you leave it blank, the next person will be granted the full Canon warranty."

Sorry, but that's technically not correct.

Canon warranty is to the original purchaser only. Read it. It's non-tranferrable. However, I have heard of Canon honoring a warranty anyway. But they do so at their own discretion. I also have heard of people being asked to produce a bill of sale as proof they are the original purchaser. Registering items online at the time of purchase will also serve as proof. The warranty cards don't seem to be used much anymore.

It is correct that the lens and camera have separate warranties, so selling off the kit lens doesn't have any effect on the original purchaser's warranty on the camera body.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

"Sorry, but that's technically not correct." Smiley Sad

So, if my wife buys me a camera and/or lens as a gift, I have to have her do the warranty work. How absurd.

The person that fills in the warranty card, or registers on-line, is the owner of that warranty. After that, the warranty may not be transferred.

EB

Thanks everyone! I looked in the box (which i haven't done since taking the camera out) and there were 2 warranty cards. One for the lens and one for the camera.  I only remembered one but the other was with other papers so i had missed it.

Obviously i haven't registered either yet 😉 

i have the receipt and to the previous point my husband purchased on his credit card so does that mean i now have to register it in his name?

Appreciate the quick responses!!

"... does that mean i now have to register it in his name?"

Of course not. That is ridiculous.

Keep the lens warranty card blank. Register your camera and do as you wish with the lens.

You really don't even need the warranty card as you can register the camera, or the lens, on-line.

Enjoy!  Smiley Very Happy

EB

I am a member of CPS and I have never been asked for a receipt. I do NOT know if the consumer section is different.

I would keep the receipt but you may never need it once you have registered the camera.

Chances are you will never need the warranty either. Smiley Happy

EB

I've delt with Canon Canada re a warranty problem & I needed to supply a copy of the invoice but there wasn't any mention of the warranty card. I had registered on line when it was new too. I seriously doubt they actually care which family member paid for the item.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements