cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very poor quality - 1Dx etc

bu5ted
Contributor

I have been using Canon EOS products since year 2011, which covers from 60D to 1Dx, in year 2012, after 8000 shots, I sent my 5D Mark2 to Canon service center for repair because there were a few dead pixels,  after I got my 5D Mark2 back, I had another 2000 shots, dead pixels appeared again, finally, I had to get rid of the camera because it was not usable. In the past 6 months, I have sent 3*70-200 F 2.8L IS II, 1*70-200 F 2.8L IS, 1*16-35 2.8L II, 1*24L II, 1*35L, 1*85L II, 1*5D Mark 3 and 1*1Dx to Canon service center because they all had/have issues. For the 70-200 F 2.8L IS II, when I bought them brand new, the coating was gone, so I had to spend a few months to get Lens replaced, for the rest of the lenses, they just could not focus properly, I got reply from Canon service center, they told me: only center AF point is usable. which is unbelievable. For the 1Dx, still, a brand new camera, I sent it to Canon service center after 2000 shots because there were 5-6 dead pixels, after I got my camera back, I shoot couple of pictues, I saw black lines all over the pictures, so I had to send it to Canon service center again, and they told me the whole CMOS is gone.

I have spent a few months on repairing these staff, I have missed a few important events because I had no cameras/lens to use or the pictures were not usable.

Even more, I sent complaints to Canon and the lady who took over my complaints just decided to ignore me.

I am very disappointed with Canon products.

12 REPLIES 12

diverhank
Authority

You are either the unluckiest person who uses Canon or you are too rough on equipment or too picky (5 or 6 dead pixels...give me a break, all cameras regardless of brand have them...nobody can see it...everybody deals with it).

I feel really sorry for the service center people...they must be running away screaming each time your equipment got sent in.  I must be a very lucky person...many years using Canon products, never had to send anything in, ever.  They got retired still fully functional.  But then I don't go looking for dead pixels, either.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

yes, I admit I was picky with dead pixels which can be my fault, considering how rough on the gears, how I can describe it? All the gears still look like new, and all the gears were cleaned and then stored in dry box after I used them. The reason why our local Canon service center pissed me off was they always ignore my requests and each time they sent my gears back, issues became worse and worse. They could even tell me that I can only use center focus point out of those 61 focus points on the 5D Mark 3 and 1Dx for example. They even returned my gears without letting me know what have they done until I found there was something abnormal.

KingEyre
Enthusiast

Well I've been using Canon gear for 40 years, and although I've had the odd issue, I've found the Canon service in the UK to be excellent.

If any equipment is requiring a serious repair, as  platinum CPS member, Canon will lend me equivalent gear ar their expense till mine is fixed.

I've never heard anyone with such a large range of equipment having as many problems!!

woo, your service center really is excellent. Sorry maybe I am too hard on our local service center, but now I am in a kind of dead end because they just keep ignoring my requests and I do not know what to do, so hopefully I can get some suggestions from you guys or maybe I should go to UK for a trip 🙂

So far I've owned 11 or 12 Canon DSLR's starting with the 20D & the only problem I had was with a 40D not accurately focusing & Canon Canada cured that perfectly. Either you are unlucky (some are) or need Haselblad quality to satisfy your demands. (Please note I restore cars & have customers that demand that quality of work & will pay to get it). 

Since I don't think I've ever noticed a dead pixel (or a few) from any of my bodies I have a question & I'm being serious because I'm rather fussy myself & have been printing at home since the eraly 80's in a darkroom & moved to Ink Jet printing in 98. How large do you have to print for a few dead pixels to actually be seen in a photo? Would it matter if they were in a dark area vs a very light area?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for your reply, here is just a small sample which I cropped from a pic taken by 1Dx after around 2000 shots, I would not consider this is acceptable from the amount of dead pixels point of view... Sample

Other than the hair I'm not sure what I'm looking at or what you say are dead pixels, and that's from looking at it on my laptop & now a high quality 24" monitor. That said dead pixels will show up on a monitor at 100% or more but will they show up in a print? I'm asking because I don't know the answer.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

can you see those black lines? i can see them very clearly on both my thinkpad and macbook pro, even clearly on my phone/pad etc

Do you mean black lines running from left to right across the image? If so I DO NOT think they are dead pixels. I DON'T know what they are but have seen similar complaints on other forums but in shadowed areas.

Announcements