cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using canon e5 grip with a new t3i

James_G2014
Contributor

have a brand new eos rebel t3i and purchased a used canon e5 grip, but it does not seat correctly.  do i need the e8 grip? 

7 REPLIES 7

Skirball
Authority

Yup.  THe e5 is for T1i, XSi, and XS.

ok. that kinda sucks.  big price difference. 

thanks for the help. 

ok, so i have now purchased the e8 grip and it does not fit any better than the e5 did.  this would be so much easier if we still had a brick and mortor camera shop that you could walk into and find what you need but obviously the internet has ended most of that.  now i sit here playing order and return games just trying to get an @#$%^&! grip that will fit this Canon T3 1100D.  i don't understand how it can be this hard.  you can clearly see that the battery compartment that the grip has to slide into has 3 90 degree corners and one beveled corner.  there is no way that the e5 or e8 will slide into this camera. 

i am i just screwed?  do they not make a grip for this camera?  do i need to return it and get a camera that can actually use a grip?  this is the second grip i'll be returning and fighting with ebay people to get my money back. 

Which camera do yo have? The T3 or T3i?

The T3 is a very basic entry level camera.  Canon does not make a battery grip for the T3 but they do make one for theT3i. Those are two very different camera models.

There are third party grips available for the T3 but they have some problems because they are "Band Aid" solution:

1) The T3 has the SD card slot in the battery compartment so you must remove the battery grip in order to change the SD card. 

2) There is no connections in the battery compartment so a separate external connection must be added for the shutter button on the grip to function.

3) Other than the shutter button, there are no controls on the grip itself. 

If you can live with these limitations, here is a link to some third party grips on ebay:  ebay T3 battery grips

_T3_grip.jpg

Mike Sowsun

ok.  so that would be the difference.  i have the t3.  what a pain.  this would all be so much easier if we still had "camera stores".  i now have a second grip to send back.  loving this. 

thanks for the help. 

Or you could just read the camera manual or look at Canon's website, for complete info about compatible accessories for your particular camera.

There are no guarantees that you'll get correct info at a brick and mortar store anyway. I've gotten plenty of bad info from store clerks, too. (Though some others have been pretty good.)

You also might check Canon's website to see if there are any local stores selling their gear. I haven't checked, but bet they have a dealer locator on their site.  I'm not sure where you are, but there are at least 50, maybe 100 or more actual stores selling camera gear in the area where I live... Everything from pro level, dedicated camera stores to chain and dept. stores seilling gear.

Not as many as there used to be, though. The Internet has put a lot of brick and mortar stores (of all types) out of business. Too many would-be customers now just use B&M stores as showrooms where they go to look at and fondle the merchandise, but don't buy and end up shopping online to purchase at lower prices from warehouse and high volume dealers who have lower overhead costs than the B&M store. It sounds as if you are making your purchases online, too... So you are actually contributing to this trend, right along with the rest of us.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

not that it matters since my question has already been answered, but my owner's manual does not specifically explain which grips are available for my camera, only that there are grips available.  i'm sure it's nice to have a camera shop on every block in silicon valley, but the closest store that sells the accessories i need is over an hour away.  if i had a local store i would much rather shop and purchase from a local business owner, but i don't have the luxury of walking to the corner to shop for what i need.  i spend my money locally as often as possible.  thanks for your concern.    

Announcements