cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade questions

Swaza
Contributor

I want to start doing Automotive photography and have been a conon user for a few years now. I think im finally ready to upgrade from my 400d and want to buy a used 7dmk2 and from there ill start saving up to buy L lenses. But i want to know if my current lenses are worth keeping or if i should just flog them and put the money towards buying 1 or 2 nicer newer lenses since my current lenses are all 6+ years old and since iv'e been using my mum's camera (a nikon d300s) im not sure what i can compare them two since the cameras are so diffrent. my current lenses are:

canon efs17-85 is macro

sigma DC HSM 10-20mm f4-5.6

canon ef 50mm f2.5 macro

sigma 50mm DG macro f2.8

canon efs 18-55mm

I really want to get the 7dmk2 since its high burst rate and autofocus system are great for motorsport and so I can hopefully keep my lenses (after using them for a few years iv'e become attached since i got all of them and the 400d in 2012 as my first dslr kit after transioning from point and shoots)

please give me some advice if need's be i'll harden my heart and sell them.

8 REPLIES 8

guido-coza
Contributor

i even though the 7D ii is a great camera I think the glass is what gives you the better picture As far as I know is the 17-85 a very good lens.

What did you buy the canon 50 2.5 for? If for macro and u happy with it keep it!

Just remember the picture is done buy you thrue the glass, the body just records it!

not much right in my left brain, not much left in my right brain!

guido-coza thank you!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Swaza wrote:

I want to start doing Automotive photography and have been a conon user for a few years now. I think im finally ready to upgrade from my 400d and want to buy a used 7dmk2 and from there ill start saving up to buy L lenses. But i want to know if my current lenses are worth keeping or if i should just flog them and put the money towards buying 1 or 2 nicer newer lenses since my current lenses are all 6+ years old and since iv'e been using my mum's camera (a nikon d300s) im not sure what i can compare them two since the cameras are so diffrent. my current lenses are:

canon efs17-85 is macro

sigma DC HSM 10-20mm f4-5.6

canon ef 50mm f2.5 macro

sigma 50mm DG macro f2.8

canon efs 18-55mm

I really want to get the 7dmk2 since its high burst rate and autofocus system are great for motorsport and so I can hopefully keep my lenses (after using them for a few years iv'e become attached since i got all of them and the 400d in 2012 as my first dslr kit after transioning from point and shoots)

please give me some advice if need's be i'll harden my heart and sell them.

I would look at buying the 7D Mk II refurbished direct from Canon with the EF-S 18-135 IS STM lens.

Honestly I would sell all of your current lenses. Canon's newer STM lenses are so much better, and they are inexpensive too.

The 7D Mk II and the EF 100-400 L IS II is an awesome combination. 

TTMartin thank you for the advice!

@Swaza wrote:

TTMartin thank you for the advice!

Oh, by the way. The EF-S 55-250 IS STM lens does pretty well at the track too.

A00A3393.jpg

I will defitily take a look at it

Most lenses will get that shot in good light BUT if you're serious about shooting race cars you'll need to learn how to pan & use a slower shutter speed. Ideally you want the car in sharp focus but motion blur in the background, wheels & tires to imply that it's at speed rather than parked. Your shot makes that hard to determine. Also if that's what you want to shoot the 7D2 is an excellent choice as it's AF can easily keep up with that venue

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks, ill keep that in mind.
Announcements