cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recommendation on upgrading my Rebel T7 to R6 or EOS 5DMarkIV

Nithun12
Contributor

I currently have Rebel T7 with EF-S 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm Lenses and planning on upgrading to some bigger camera. I once used EOS 5DMark IV, loved it. At first i was in a impression of getting it but after doing some research i came to know about R6. Now i am in a confusion which one i need to get.

My current usage is mostly for personal use, Landscapes etc. (Not professional) 

I know R6 is latest product with mirrorless, but also 5D is very good. totally confused on what to get. Please advice.

If i choose R6, can i use my existing EF/EFs lens with an adaptor? wil there be any difference? are these lens enough for now or need to get any new lens?

-Nithun 

43 REPLIES 43

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum.

First you existing lenses will not work well with either. The will not fit the 5D4 at all and while the can physically fit the R6 via an adapter they will reduve the sensor resolution to about 8MP because the are designed for crop sensor bodies. So you would be looking at new lenses for either.

These are not great optics in any case, esp the 75-300, but if you want to kerp them then look at the R7 or 8 which are crop sensor bodies.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Actually the EOS R8 is a Full Frame camera not APS-C. Unless you mean the EOS R10 or EOS R50.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Thanks Demetrius, I stand corrected!  I was on a bus and not able to concentrate as well as I might.

To   Nithun12:
The issue is that a camera can't be considered on its own.  It is part of a system with the lenses that are actually more impactful on the end result than the body itself.

So, what I would suggest is that you sell your existing camera body and lenses to help you fund a pathway into the R-series bodies, which is where all the development is going.
Cameras like the R5, R6 and R8 are full-frame cameras and are best paired with RF native lenses or EF lenses with an adapter.  Such lenses will project your image onto the full area of the sensor and you will get the full benefit of your investment.  If you went that way, I would suggest the excellent RF 24-240 IS STM lens.

Alternatively, you could go for an APS-C crop body (the same sensor size as the body you have):  R7 and R10 being current examples,  in which case you could use your existing lenses with an EF-RF adapter. However, these lenses are not great optics and not up to the quality of the bodies now available, especially the EF 75-300 (corrected from 70-300), which I consider Canon's poorest optic and has no IS.  If you did so, you could use both RF and RF-S optics, and you could still mount the RF 24-240 IS STM, although on a crop sensor body it will behave more like a 38-380mm lens.  Alternatively go for the RF-S 18-150mm IS STM lens, designed for crop sensor bodies.

If you have plans to eventually move to Full Frame bodies then I would suggest you consider buying only RF glass and not RF-S Units.

If you are not familiar with the implications of the differences between Full-Frame and APS-C (crop-sensor) bodies, I recommend reading the following document: 

Equivalence 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"especially the EF 70-300, which I consider Canon's poorest optic and has no IS"

I think you mean the Canon EF 75-300mm. I have the 70-300mm and it has IS and decent image quality.

Sorry, you are right, it was a typo, I shall change that!  I have three versions of the EF 70-300 IS USM lenses and they are all streets ahead of the 75-300!

cheers, TREVOR

Mitch_P
Enthusiast

You won't be able to use the 18-55mm on either an R6 or 5D IV, but you can still use the 75-300mm on either one. For the R6 you'll need an adapter. If you can't swing the R6 along with buying a new full frame multipurpose lens, I would recommend a Canon R10 that can use both of your lenses with adapter. It's actually a great camera, I have one along with my R6 Mark II. It's better than any DSLR for most normal non professional photographers.

Yes, but the 75-300 will physically fit, it's a pretty terrible optic and will show its limitations on any of the bodies the OP is suggesting.

cheers, TREVOR

Of course I agree it's not a great lens. But it is a full frame lens. Sometimes people just need to learn from experience, or maybe it's good enough for this person! His question was about compatibility.

Well, I was focused on this question "are these lens enough for now or need to get any new lens?"  As I said, I look at the sum of the lens and body as providing a result.  The 75-300 is not up to the qualiy of the cameras listed and that will show in the images.  So, instead of getting a 5DIV or a R6, the OP could look at that whole package that should give a decent balance.
To me, the focus on the body alone is a common trap for the inexperienced, and I prefer to bring that up rather than let them learn, as you say, from experience.
I am not seeing any budget constraint, which I would always prefer to see as the most fundamental component for consideration.  Given that we could look at what is in and what is out within the funds available.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements