cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Stutter" in video, t3i

GlennP
Apprentice

In shooting video (using full HD), there is a very obvious and distracting stutter in even the SLIGHTEST pan shot.  Is there a setting that I am missing?  Thanks ~

8 REPLIES 8

GlennP
Apprentice

Will also add:   SD Card is SanDisk Extreme 64GB, Class 10

Imported the video into an iMac, 3.4GHz, 32GB DDR3

Viewed video in Quicktime
Intent to edit in FCP 10

Mykolas
Authority

Hi GlennP!

Thank you for the post!  I would like to see a sample of what you are describing.  Do you have a sample video posted that we can look at?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have seen the same issue with my T3i.  Like others, I thought it was some issue with playback on my computer.  I have since noticed that it clearly shows the stutter plugged directly into the HDMI input of my TV.  I do have a sample, but was not sure the best way to convey it.  

No answer at all?  

Pixelriffic,

We do not directly have a way for you to upload the video to us, but you can always try posting it on a popular video upload site and send us the link.  I also would like to determine if this is just in the video being output from the camera. 

Do you also see the stutter on the LCD screen when you playback the video directly on the camera?

I also understand you have been waiting for a reply for a while now.  If this is a time sensitive-matter, I recommend that you Contact Us directly by phone.  Speaking with one of our representatives over the phone, you should be able to get the issue resolved in a more timely manner so you can get back to shooting with your EOS Rebel T3i.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Mike,

I do appreciate your response.  Unfortunately, the camera is out of warranty, so I just thought I'd try this route.  I did notice this before, but blamed it on other possible causes.  To answer your question, you can indeed see it on the camera monitor when shooting in 1080.  720P seems quite smooth on the other hand.  

What I wonder is, was this something that affected all T3i cameras?  Or is something wrong with this particular camera.  If so, I would be curious if it can be corrected.  

The effect seems to be more evident in a shot with high contrast.  I just did a very quick test, and uploaded it to Youtube.  I think it shows the choppy/strobey pretty well.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Q93eZzKOA

pixelriffic,

Thanks for getting back to me and for posting the sample video online.

I see what you are referring to now.  This effect was most likely caused by the faster panning motions and camera shaking while the image sensor was recording each frame.  This can happen when these conditions are present because of how sensors record video.

If you slow down your panning and make the panning motion more smooth, this should reduce or eliminate the effect.  A great tool that can help is a tripod.  It can pretty much eliminate the camera shake factor altogether and it will help you to pan more smoothly.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

I also have this effect. It's not just when panning, but even when someone passes through the frame.

It's like picture is split in half horizontally. any solution for this? I see this a lot on YouTube and Vimeo.

Could it be it;s something wrong with my screen panel?

Announcements