cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my canon eos rebel sl2 black screen and continuous busy light

dhouston
Contributor

hello canon community !

new canon camera owner and i was experimenting with some night sky photos in manual.
after about 25 photos using bulb mode my camera began to go to a solid black screen without led illumination and a continuous red busy light any time i press the shutter button.

the only fix i could find for it was to power off and power on my camera.
it will shoot fine in auto but i keep getting the same issue every time i put it back into manual shooting mode 😕 

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Whenever things don't go as you think they should, reset the camera to factory condition.  There is a clear all settings in your menus.  Look under Tools.  Re-format your SD card or get a new high quality card.  Never use bargain SD cards.  Fully charge the battery, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

im more concerned it might be a malfunction and seeing how i just purchased my camera on 12/23 and it arrived 12/27 id definitely prefer making sure there is nothing wrong with my unit and if there is id liketo pursue an exchange or something of the sort .
hopefully someone else has had a similar issue and might be able to offer a solution until then i will try the reset

to clarify...
my camera focuses fine and shoots in every mode except manual.
ive tried the mf and af settings on my various lenses.
ive been able to take plenty of photos in manual using bulb mode, a low iso and low f stop.
THIS IS NOT A FOCUS ISSUE.

I know how frustrating something like this can be.  But please do the reset first.  Format the SD card again.  Whenever you do a troubleshooting exercise you must start from the basics. The beginning.  If you decide to call Canon support, they will ask you do to that first.  Canon has one of, if not the best support, of not only cameras companies but any company.

Afer reset, try the SL2 in full auto mode.  Good light like outdoors.  If it works, it is probably OK.

EB

its working in full auto fine after the reset but manual isnt working 😕 

Call Canon support.

EB

currently waiting til 10 am haha ! 

Hi, dhouston!

Our US-based EOS support team is available by phone weekdays from 8 AM to midnight ET (5 AM to 9 PM PT) and Saturdays from 10 AM to 8 PM ET (7 AM to 5 PM PT) at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).  Support is also available 24/7, including holidays, at http://canon.us/SupportCF

We look forward to your call!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements