cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

focus indicator confusion

Larrybo
Apprentice

What is happenning when I look thru my view finder on my eos m 5 , I see a circle in the center of the viewfinder and a rectangle off to one side... I can move the rectangle around on the screen... but, why both... what incorrect setting is causing this?  Camera is set at spot metering and focus area is single point.

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The rectangle is the single point autofocus, the circle is spot metering.  Each is set-up separately via the  menu - if you go to each of those settings there and change them, you will see you can change those displays.  This is no connection between the two per se on these models.  On the R-series MILCs and some latter FF DSLRs one can link both to the same point.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for the help

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Your Spot Metering will always be at the center of the angle of view.  Use Evaluative Metering if you wish to link metering to a locked AF point.  It is crucial that your AF is LOCKED and ACTIVE.  Using BBF can give you a locked focus, but the AF point goes inactive as soon as you release the BBF button.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi and thanks for your help

Announcements