cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

comparing digital SLR camera

Jillian
Apprentice

Hi.  I am looking to buy my boyfriend a SLR.  We have had several canon point and shoot cameras but are ready to upgrade.  I am not sure which is the best model to go with.  We would be taking pics of scenery, kids playing sports, and our dog mostly.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  I am comparing the T3i T4i and T5i

19 REPLIES 19

Skirball
Authority

Canon releases a new Rebel every year now, usually with some small improvements (some years bigger than others).  All the way back to the 550D is all using the same sensor.

The 700d (T5i) is a big fat joke.  They added some embossed logos on the mode selection dial and made it spin 360 degrees.  I would get a 650D (T4i) and save some cash.

The 650D added all cross-type points over the 600D, which in short, is more sensitive auto-focus.  It'd be worth the cost to me, but maybe not to everyone. To be fair, my new $2000 6D only has one cross point, like the 600D.

The main difference between the 550D and 600D is the flip out screen on the 600D.  I believe the 550D is a bit smaller and has less shutter lag as well.

Thank you so much for responding.  As you can tell I do not know much about cameras and am really tooking toward others for advise.  So thank you!

No problem.  They're all good cameras, there's just little features that get added to try to increase sales.  I used an old 400D for 7 years, and I loved the camera.  I still think it's a fine camera.  Whatever one you choose will be enjoyed I'm sure.

Here is a good link to help research: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9566705626/buying-a-digital-slr

I agree with Skirball that the T4i will probably be you best value. In the long run put your money in lens. The best advice I can give is don't let the salesperson sell you a bunch of gear. Buy your body and kit lens, get experienced with that then you will better know what you need/want next.

@7D5D wrote:
Buy your body and kit lens, get experienced with that then you will better know what you need/want next.

This is really good advice and worth restating.  Salesmen and internet forums can lead people to thinking they need a lot more gear than they do.

So if you dont mind me asking why the 4i over the 3i?  Is it because it is a newer model or has better features?

@Jillian wrote:

So if you dont mind me asking why the 4i over the 3i?  Is it because it is a newer model or has better features?

The main feature of the T4i over the previous is that they added all cross-type sensors for the autofocus.  In brief: when you look through the viewfinder you’ll see 9 red dots spread across the field, these are the autofocus points.  Cross points can detect contrast differences that are both vertical and horizontal, as opposed to regular points that can only detect one (for others, yes, I know it uses phase detection).  So in essence it’s more accurate.  The T4i has all 9 in this cross type, where as the T3i has 1 cross point in the center and the rest are normal.

Now,  a lot of people who use Rebels (and more expensive cameras) use the recompose technique – focusing on the subject on the center, holding the button, and then recomposing.  So they’re only using the center point anyway.  More advanced shooters will use those out points more, so it’s nice to have all cross points.  I consider it a ‘nice to have’.  So I’d weigh the price of the two and see if the difference is worth it to you.  To me, an extra $100 wouldn’t make me even flinch.  But I know I didn’t feel that way when I first got into photography.

Great info  thanks so much!!! ... I have heard the 4i had a recall is that true and if so do you know if the issue was fixed?

I don’t know much about it, other than it had something to do with the outer coating and allergic reactions in some people.  As stated in my first post, the jump from the T4i to the T5i was almost non-existent in upgrades.  One of them was a different texture to the plastic.  Between that change, the recall, and the fact that Canon no longer manufactures the T4i, many have speculated a connection – Canon in essence reissued the 650D with new coating and called it a 700D.  Personally, I wouldn’t worry about it if I could save some money getting a 650D.  The recall affected a specific set of serial numbers, it’s unlikely a reputable dealer would sell one to you.

Edit: just looked around a bit, I might have mispoken.  I don't know if Canon has officially discontinued the 650D.  Also, it looks like they did fix the issue and they tainted batch hasn't been sold (by official dealers) since summer of 2012.

Announcements