cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong lens

dbiles25
Apprentice

I got a new Canon EOS T5 and they sent me a Vivatar telephoto lens. Is this the wrong lens?

2 REPLIES 2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This sounds like you bought one of those "bundles".

Canon would have supplied the camera body and one lens... that lens would have been an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II.

We think of "lenses" as something that attach directly to the camera body, and for someone with a T5 who wants a telephoto lens, then a lens such as the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM would be a very common choice.

But there are vendors who pump up the value of a camera "package" by throwing in a lot of very low-cost (and typically very low quality) components such as "lenses" that are designed to be screwed on to the front of your existing lens.  These do not come from Canon.

Be careful.... I've seen these things jam or bind to the point that they can't be removed and the owner ends up having to send in the camera lens to get it removed.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I got a new Canon EOS T5 and they sent me a Vivatar telephoto lens. Is this the wrong lens?"

It is not only the wrong 'lens' it is the wrong package.  Return it, tomorrow.  Buy a kit from a respected Canon retailer. B&H Photo, Adorama in New York for instance. Best Buy or a local camera shop if you have one.  A local camera store is your best choice. It may be a tad higher cost but the service and knowledge is usually much better.  My local camera store lets me try stuff before I decide to buy it.  Pretty nice!  Best Buy will let you handle it and play with it a bit, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements