cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 and Rebel EOS XTi

wpgerhardt
Apprentice

I had no problems using Vista but I now have Windows 8 on a new machine.  I installed software from my original disc, no luck so I went to ypur website to upload new software, Image Browser EX - I guess this is the new download utility.  Regardless, I plug my camera to the USB cable and I get the message from the EOS utility: "Camera is not recognized".  I can see the camera under my computer (Displayed as a portable device: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi). Why won't the software automatically download the pictures like it did with Vista (separate files by date the pictures were taken etc.)?  Do I need something else?

16 REPLIES 16

No, I tried to shoot a couple of new images before I tried to download each time, just to make sure.

Just get a card reader.  Smiley Happy  Your computer may already have one built in.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yeah, that's what I have been using.  Works OK except it requires extra steps to create an appropriately named download folder and change filenames from "IMG_XXXX" to something meaningful. Fortunately, I have a nice really nice Explorer replacement, Directory Opus, that can read the EXIF sidecar and use regular expressions to rename fhe files, so I can manage OK. I was hoping for better from Canon, though. Thanks.

OrBlackFZ1
Apprentice

I found a workaround for at least getting my digital photos from the Rebel XTi to my Windows 8 laptop.  I used a SanDisk Extreme USB 2.0 Card Reader that came with one of my cards.  (It looks like ScanDisk has obsoleted the product, but you might find one on an auction site.)

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Canon recognizes that some computers now don't have optical drives and provides download capability for the CD contents.

This also works if the CD was lost.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks! I do have the original installation CD and my computer does have an optical drive, so I could uninstall and reinstall if it came to that. But I doubt it would be any different since I'd end up with the same program, anyway.

But maybe something went bonkers with the installation.  I would try it again.  What do you have to lose?  Nothing, right?  Of course right.  You should uninstall the old copy first, though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements