I have a EOS Rebel XT, that willl not power on. I have tried changing the batteries, as I have 2 and neither of them works. I have tried taking out the batteries and the CF card and reseating them. But still nothing. The closest camera store is between 50 and 100 miles from me and then I am not sure they can do anything when I get there. Does anyone have any ideas?
Don't know much about the XT but here are some things to try.
1. Do you have a meter to check your batteries? Maybe your charger is bad.
2. How old are your batteries? Maybe they're exhausted.
3. Have you cleaned the camera contacts good? Maybe some moisture or corrosion has built up. Use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. Check the battery contacts too.
3. Does the XT have a small secondary battery (for date and time)? If so does it need to be installed for the camera to power up? Or does it need to be a charge battery to power on? (probably not the later)
4. Try removing the CF card all together.
Good luck, let us know what you discover
Try cleaning the contacts on the batteries and inside the battery compartment with a soft microfiber cleaning cloth. If the camera still does not power on after removing the lens and the card, as well as trying multiple batteries, then the camera is going to need service.
If the camera is more than a year old, you may participate in the Canon Loyalty Program instead. The Canon Loyalty Program option allows you to replace your current camera for a discounted fee, plus shipping. The unit offered through this program carries a 90 day warranty. The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.
If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (800) OK CANON (800-652-2666) seven days a week, 8am to Midnight. Let them know you have been working with online support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered. Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.
To start the repair process instead, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.
If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.