cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my canon 80D lenses fit the canon 5D mark III?

CANON2
Contributor

I would like to buy canon 5D mark III, Will my canon 80D lenses fit the canon 5D mark III?

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@CANON2 wrote:

I would like to buy canon 5D mark III, Will my canon 80D lenses fit the canon 5D mark III?

If the lenses are EF-S, lenses, no. If they're EF lenses (no "-S"), then yes.

Note that any lens will have, at every point in its zoom range, a wider field of view on a 5D3 that it will at the same zoom setting on an 80D

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

As stated above the less expensive EF-s lenses are for crop sensor cameras only, so they'd fit your 80d but would not work on a 5d if you upgrade to full frame cameras like 5d3.  If you were going to buy the FF camera soon I'd hold off getting a lot of EF-s lenses, but it seems like you might be still a long time away from buying the 5d if you don't have the 80d yet. 

If you buy an 80d, there are package deals that give you a lens along with the camera, and there is a big discount on the lens. I might go ahead and get a kit lens just because it is so cheap and you can use it for a while.  Kit lenses like the 18-55 or the 18-135 are useful to get started and the 18-55 is only about $100 when you get them in the kit. 

If you want to skip the EF-s lenses and go for EF lenses you can use on 5d, look at getting a "white box" version of an EF 24-105 f/4 IS L.  That is the kit lens that comes with the full frame cameras like the 5d3, etc, so you can use it later when you upgrade. Sometimes people or camera stores break open the camera + lens package sets and sell the lens separately. You could find one for as little as $620, instead of the normal $999.00 price if you look.  It is an L" lens, meaning it is better build quality than ordinary lenses so it is a good lens to have. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@CANON2 wrote:

Dear Scott, Thank you very much!

What I am planning to do is buying 80D till 5D Mark IV is released so I can use the lenses on 5D mark IV

The result of that strategy will be that your main camera will be full-frame, with a crop camera as backup. There are arguably some advantages to that, but the questions you've been asking suggest that they don't apply to your situation. Most FF users would prefer that their backup cameras be FF as well. So  why not forget the 80D and look for an affordable refurbished 5D Mk III? (Remember that the 80D is brand new, so you're probably going to pay top dollar for it.) When you do buy your 5D Mk IV, you'll know that the EF lenses you've accumulated will be the best match for both cameras.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@CANON2 wrote:

Dear Scott, Thank you very much!

What I am planning to do is buying 80D till 5D Mark IV is released so I can use the lenses on 5D mark IV

The result of that strategy will be that your main camera will be full-frame, with a crop camera as backup. There are arguably some advantages to that, but the questions you've been asking suggest that they don't apply to your situation. Most FF users would prefer that their backup cameras be FF as well. So  why not forget the 80D and look for an affordable refurbished 5D Mk III? (Remember that the 80D is brand new, so you're probably going to pay top dollar for it.) When you do buy your 5D Mk IV, you'll know that the EF lenses you've accumulated will be the best match for both cameras.

Alomst my thoughts exactly.  The newest APS-C body and the latest 5D make for an odd couple.  I think another idea for backup might be a 6D kit that comes with a PRO-100 printer.  The printer is practically free at B&H. 

The choice of first lens to buy is up in the air.  You cannot go wrong with the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@CANON2 wrote:
Thank you very much!
Great idea, since 6D is cheaper than 5D mark III, but do 6D lenses fit 5d?

Yes, the EOS 6D is a "full frame" camera body, just like the EOS 5D Series of cameras. 

I would advise a general, all-purpose, "standard zoom" lens as your initial lens purchase.  Another first lens option is to purchase 35mm or 50mm prime.  Canon offers a couple of selections [cost] at each focal length, and zoom range.

25 REPLIES 25

@CANON2 wrote:
Could I know why is
EOS 6D Refurbished with EF 24-105mm f/4L IS Refurbished Lens Kit more expensive than if I bought them separately?
It is in Canon online store.
Thank you!

Each separate item is "on sale" right now, while the kit may not be.  If you look hard enough, you will find other similar questions.  I noticed a similar price discrepancy once, and took advantage of the lower pricing of those exact same separate items over the asking price for the kit.

Be aware that there are significant differences between a 6D and a 5D Series, most particulary when it comes to weahter sealing and Auto Focuc..  Differences that could justify taking a look at a refurbished 5D Mk III as a backup for a new 5D Mk IV, which is rumored to be priced similarly to its' 5Ds cousins. 

I love the 6D for its' low light performance, and full frame sensor.  I'm more the still life photographer than the action photograper, and so the 6D is perfect for me.  I don't ncessarily need the weather sealing because I'm more vulnerable to elements than the camera probably is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to further confuse you, let me point out that while the APS-C body 80D might be an odd couple when paired with a 5D series camera body, I think the 7D Mk II just may be a good performance compliment to the 5D, but not in a backup role.  The 7D Mk II is the top of the APS-C body line.  It has better weather sealing than a 6D, and other great features that rival the 5D Mk III.  It also has the strategic advantage of high IQ cropping of the image on EF lenses, thereby giving you effectively more reach with telephoto lenses, without having to use an extender. 

Some online retailers are asking for a very small difference in price between the 7D and 6D.  Had these price differences been in front of me at the time, I probably would have jumped for the 7D.  The 7D Mk II is also offered in the Refurbished Store.  However, it is frequently "out of stock" at the outlet more than the 6D, which should tell you something about it.

Thank you very much Waddizzle

What I am planning to do is buying a cheap camera with its lenses which will fit the new 5D Mk IV. So I think when I buy 7D it will not work in this situation.
Please, correct me if I am wrong.

@CANON2 wrote:
Thank you very much Waddizzle

What I am planning to do is buying a cheap camera with its lenses which will fit the new 5D Mk IV. So I think when I buy 7D it will not work in this situation.
Please, correct me if I am wrong.

It would depend upon what type of camera kit you buy.  Most of the Canon kits I have seen come with the EF-S 18-135mm, which would not fit a 5D Mark III.  Right now, the best buy is for the camera body with  the Pixma Pro-100 printer, and no lens.  You could always pick up a 50mm or 35mm just to hit the ground running. 

Again, I just mentioned the 7D Mark II because it surpasses the 6D in more ways, than vice versa.  The cost difference between the two can be large, or negligible, if you shop around a bit.  I shop almost exclusively at my local photo shop, the Canon On-Line Store, and B&H Photo Video in NYC. 

BTW, I think every photo head out there needs to make a pilgrimmage to see the B&H superstore in Manhattan at least once in their lifetime.  It is truly a memorable, first time experience.  It is one part consumer store with display  cases.  It is one part warehouse and distribution center, complete with overhead conveyers constantly whizzing products overhead to the checkout counters, or delivery trucks.  It is an awesome site, and it is LOUD. 

I hope to visit their store but I am far away.

Please gave me a last advice.

I do not need to buy a new camera since I am saving to buy the new 5D when it will be released. And I would like a camera with lenses which will fit he new 5D when I will buy it. 

@CANON2 wrote:

I hope to visit their store but I am far away.

Please gave me a last advice.

I do not need to buy a new camera since I am saving to buy the new 5D when it will be released. And I would like a camera with lenses which will fit he new 5D when I will buy it. 

The lenses you buy will make the difference when it comes to compatibility with a 5D, not which camera body.  As long as you buy Canon "EF" Series lenses, then you have nothing to worry about.  It is Canon's "EF-S" series of lenses that would not properly mount onto a full size sensor body, like the 6D, 5D Series, or 1D Series of camera bodies.

Like I said, you can expect any 5D Mark IV to have a price tag comparable to its' 5Ds cousins, which is a significant jump over the list price for a 5D Mark III.

Thank you!
Announcements