cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Canon offer a tilt screen for photographers?

jborel
Contributor

I have tried the flip out screen that content creators and vloggers rave about and can say that I am completely turned off by this design. My camera is now wider when flipped out, I have extra steps to take when positioning the screen for viewing, gets in the way of my strap, etc. It's just awkward and fiddly. The tilt screen on my Sony RX100iv is quick, easy, and non-obtrusive. I find this much better for someone who uses a camera from behind the lens. I own Canon DSLRs and L lenses so it's safe to say I am invested in this brand. Mirrorless cameras are becoming appealing but the screen Canon offers is a major turn-off. Is Canon planning to offer a high-end camera specifically for photographers that will have a tilting screen? Sony is out the question but the Z9 and the soon to be released Z8 is looking better and better. I will definitly change brands over this one issue. Some can call it petty but a small annoyance eventually becomes a big problem.

19 REPLIES 19

I actually value the articulation when it is available. Because I cannot sometimes get to an angle: either high up or low down to see what is going on, then the feature is a benefit.  I think because I started in the era of film (1980's), where there were no screens whatsoever, and one could not see what images were being shot, any kind of screen is appreciated.  Still, I rarely use an LCD for composition, I use an optical or electronic viewfinder - not just out of habit, but because holding the camera to my eye provides a critical 3rd point of contact for stability - I generally shoot hand-held.

Digital natives have engaged with a market in which LCD screens, amongst many other features, are standard, and I can understand why that is expected to be available.  However, I suspect that unless one is doing something like street photography where the camera is held at waist level, or videography, then using the LCD has become a trope, an extension of the habit of those coming from cell phones.  A critical difference is that a dedicated camera, with a hefty chunk of glass, is much less stable than a cell phone, so how it is held becomes much more significant.  Furthermore, the longer the lens focal length, the heavier it is likely to be, and the more the captured FoV will magnify the tiniest instability in the camera.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I use the rear LCD mostly for taking pictures of my children, it allows me to get to their eye level without having to stoop down. I can quickly tilt the screen and hold the camera at waist level. This also works very well for video. 

Absolutely understand, although when I want to do the same kind of thing, I just flip out and rotate the screen, which works for me.  What I understand from my video-centric colleagues is that they actually prefer to use the fully-articulating screen as they can position themselves in front of the camera, or at any angle when videoing.

As I understand it you have tried this and found it wanting?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"I'd say that Canon, the market leader, must be satisfying the market."

Or is it possible that herd mentality has taken over? 

I am fairly sure that Canon, like all other companies, go to some effort to find out what the market wants.  Without doubt, there will be a constituency that has differing opinions.  I know of some who want a fixed screen, some who want a tilt, some who want the status quo and some who want tilt combined with fully-articulated screens.

The challenge that camera manufacturers have had is a proliferation of variations that, while salifying some of the variations desired in this and other contexts, it created a lot of different tech solutions that were costly.  As I have observed (not just for Canon) is that manufacturers are trying to rationalize their range of components - I mentioned the use of a single model of battery grip for those R-series bodies that are compatible with one - which was certainly not the case with the DSLRs.

I also shoot with Fuji, Nikon, Olympus and Sony, and have watched the former brand switch back and forth between tilt and fully-articulated screens on the X-T3, 4 and 5 model cameras, with each version of the screen being both lauded and criticized strongly and simultaneously.  In the latest variation the X-T5 has reverted to a tilt screen, while the HS-series cameras have the fully articulated ones - and again, both have had split reception. 

Thus I would say that people are clearly not so much suffering from herd mentality as an expectation of a camera configured to their expectations, and not shy about expressing that.

cheers, TREVOR

Which came first...the chicken or the egg?

When does the "market" become "the herd", or vice versa?

Either way, Canon sells a lot of cameras.

Stephen

Some of our cameras have different styles of articulating LCDs, depending on their target audience. Our EOS lineup typically have a screen that you can flip out and fold back, so that it is just like a non-articulating screen when it's closed (either with the LCD viewable or not). Some of our PowerShots and have a specially designed LCD for vlogging. 

Which Canon camera(s) have you tried?

jborel
Contributor

I'm aware of Canon's current offerings. The purpose of my posting was to gain insight of a possible tilt screen in Canon's future. 

raavikant
Apprentice

Hi,

As a Canon user, I haven't heard that Canon will offer a tilt screen for photographers. But, as per users' demand, there are chances that they may do so in the future.

Thanks

Thanks
Ravikant

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

This doesn't mean in any way that I want or would use a tilt screen.  As I said in my original reply.  I think the articulating screens on my T6s, 6D2 and R5 C are wonderful.  Its the sole reason I skipped buying a 5D4.  

Here's a patent.  Doesn't mean it will happen, but it could:

shadowsports_0-1690551887763.png

I would still prefer an articulating screen over a tilt any day, but we all use our cameras differently.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements