cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the REBEL model naming system?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I remain confused by the naming convention for Canon Rebel Cameras.  In NZ and many other places there is a convention that seems logical and consistent.

Canon Professional and Semi-Pro Bodies:  EOS XD: E.G. 1D Mkx, 5d Mk IV, 6D (problematic) 7D Mk II

Canon Prosumer bodies:                               EOS XXD: e.g. 60d, 70D, 80D

Conumer / enthusiast bodies:                       EOS XXXD  e.g. 350D.... 750D, 760D

All well and good, the number is logcal and a consistent numerical progression. 

However I am totally confused by the Rebel branding in North America that replaces the numerical progression with a dingle digit and some letters:

e.g. EOS Rebel EOS 400d (Digital Rebel XTi ) EOS 450D (Rebel XSi) ... EOS 750D (Rebel T6i) and  760D (Rebel T6s)

This is obviously a marketing decision, but the questions I have are:

1. Why?
  2. Is there a logical pattern, particulary as regards the three character suffix?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
21 REPLIES 21

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

OK.

The Rebel T6i naming means it is a USA model. There is no difference but it was imported by Canon USA.  It is the only type to buy.  There is no Canon USA warranty on others.

The 1 series started out with the 1D.  Each time it was upgraded it got another letter or number.  That is until the 1Dx. It is upgraded by the same naming as the rest of the upper Canon cameras.

The 5 series, 5D, 5D Mk II, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk IV are in the full frame series.  The 6D was an attempt to make an entry level FF camera that did n't cost a wheel barrel full of money. Perhaps they will do an upgrade to it and it will be the 6D Mk II.

The 7D series, crop sensor, is following the same basic convention. 7D, 7D Mk II, 7D Mk III, maybe?

The intermediate series is the xxD which is getting a bigger number all the time. 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 70D and now the 80D. Whether these offer worthwhile upgrades is up tp you.

Why?  Only Canon can answer that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi Ebiggs1:

Thank you for your prompt response. Obviously I did not make myself clear, even though I wrote in detail to explain the numbering system for Non-Rebel systems.

If you care to look at my profile you will see what I have and how long I have worked with Canon gear. 

I completely understand the numbering system as I described it, but that wasn't my question.  WHY does the marketing in North America use the REBEL model naming convention???   It doesn't seem logical when compared with the straight numbering system used elsewhere and I wonder how it came about and what the benefit is.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I seem to remember a big ad promotion campaign in the US when the "Rebel" was first introduced.  The star of the ad campaign was star professional tennis player, Andre Agassi, who a reputation for being a Rebel on the court.

Is that why they named it Rebel?  I doubt it.  But, it was a great ad campaign.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Nice to meet you ! Smiley Happy

I can see the logic, Agassi was seen as a bit of a rebel in the tennis world after all!

Yes,it seems to be all about marketing, they are the same boxes apart from the label on the front.  I just am puzzled that they would feel they have to give their North American models that unique designation.  But what I am most bemused about it strange alphnumeric combinations that I can never get my head around.

Because I live between NZ and Canada at present I get my Canon bodies in NZ, especially as I will be returning to live there again next year, so the numerical convention is still valid for me.  I spend lots of time trying to translate the systems when I talk to my NA associates.   I also realize that the Japanese market has its own naming convention too, but luckily I don't have to deal with that one! LOL

cheers, TREVOR

I would guess it is to frustrate Grey Market sellers. Canon US is a separate business entity and jealously guards its market of imports.

I can definitely see some logic in that, however if one buys grey market product anywhere there is no warranty support for them, even if they have the same model naming on the body.  Even if they wanted to use the Rebel designation, why did they not use the name Rebel 400d, Rebel 600D, Rebel 760D instead of the odd alphanumeric suffixes?

cheers, TREVOR

"... if one buys grey market product anywhere there is no warranty support for them..."

They aren't grey market everwhere just here in the USA.  Canon Europe for folks over there for instance.

EB

" WHY does the marketing in North America use the REBEL model naming convention???"

Then you glossed right over the answer. It was toward the beginning of my post.

"The Rebel T6i naming means it is a USA model."

"... look at my profile you will see what I have and how long I have worked with Canon gear."

Probably won't with out a reason to.

EB

Hi again Ebiggs1:

First of all I appreciated you providing what was a prompt and very comprehensive explanation, it it just not what I was looking for.Smiley Wink  I am very familiar with Canon cameras in general, I have used them for almost 35 years, and in the digital sense since about 2001 when I got my first unit the venerable G1.

When I said that I obviously did not make myself clear, I was not being sarcastic.  I thought that when I said: "However I am totally confused by the Rebel branding in North America that replaces the numerical progression with a dingle digit and some letters:"  I was trying to say that I KNOW it's specific to North America, and obviously a marketing thing.  The word Rebel to me is neither here nor there, so let's put that to one side, as I said in a later post, why did they put the rather bemusing (to me) combination of letter and numbers after the Rebel designation?

It would have made perfect sense to me if they had named the models with the same versioning as the most of the rest of the planet, say: Rebel 500D, 550D, 650D, 750D etc.  but no, they came up with a different nomenclature, and that is what I am focusing on.

So, what do you think?

cheers, TREVOR

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements