cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do my files shrink moving from SD to desktop

Bgreen
Apprentice

Just started, I'm guessing from a windows update but now my files shrink moving from SD to desktop. Doesn't matter if it's dragged from the SD card or copied and pasted. Any idea of what changed in windows?

Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What do you mean by "shrink"? Files are fewer megapixels?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Example:  on the SD card, jpeg image is 8.41 MG, drag it to a folder on the desktop or copy/paste is only 700kb. Open the dragged file with any program it's 700kb but still remains almost 8 1/2 Meg on SD.  There was a windows update that enables auto resizing ( checkbox ) I need to clear it off. I had to do it last windows update but forgot where I found it.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It sounds like you are moving the images inside of a program - maybe Windows Photo?

If you want to download images from a card work in Windows Explorer. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Bgreen you need to d/l the free from Canon DPP4 post editing software and use it. Windows itself will not change the file size. You have something else going on. DPP4 is an excellent program and fairly easy to use if all you want is simple file handling. Of course if you want the most from your photos DPP4 can handle that as well.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jcinpv
Contributor

There's a possibility that the number of actual pixels shrinks due to a change in resolution. The x-y "size" of the image should not change. So I think the app you are using to "copy" the image is actually performing a "downsizing" function, which is common when editing a JPEG image with any software when the "save" option is set to less than 100% - and even then, some pixels are lost. This is why it is preferred to capture an image in RAW, edit in RAW, and be wary of copying a Canon CR2 image since that might result in converting it to some other format.

For what it's worth, the Apple computer does not alter the pixel content (resolution) of an image in a copy operation. It only changes the date/time stamp. This is also "normal" for Linux and Unix.

jcinpv
Contributor

"downsizing" should be "compression"

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements