cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which lens to buy for group portraits on the EOS Rebel T5?

jk111
Contributor

I have a rebel t5 and want to buy a lens that would be good for a group family picture with 15-20 people. I have 85 mm 1:18 but its not good for a big group. I am thinking 50 mm but not sure what one. I have 50mm 0.35 but its not what I want. also not sure if i should go with stm or usm. I have about $275 to spend. thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I think the EF-S 18-55 might be good given your budget.  2 are available.  f3.5 micro motor and f4 STM motor.  Primary difference is number of aperture blades, magnification .34x vs .25x and motor type.  STM will be a little quieter.  Costs a little more.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

I got a EFS 18-55 mm but it is macro 0.25 / 0.8 so maybe I could get the one with f/4-5.6 thank you so much!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

thank you, I will check into this

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"You may wish to look into the EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM. "

The 18-55mm already includes 24mm. The 18-55mm is by far the better choice if budget and versatility is the goal. That's way Canon included it with Rebel kits.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Noted.  

I have the kit lens, the 24 and the 50.  I was offering my opinion as to what I would use if asked to photograph a group of 15-20 people and also also is a lens that has some close focusing chops .  For an indoor posed/arranged group shot, decent sized room or outdoor posed/arranged group shot, my first choice would be the 24 because it's sharper than the kit lens and if I wanted to limit depth of field for some reason, the 24's maximum aperture is f/2.8 making it easier to do so than with the kit lens.  If I didn't own the 24, the kit lens might be the lens of choice. 

Truth be told, I really like using the 24mm on my T7 and any reason/excuse to do so resonates with me!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  I wanted to limit depth of field for some reason, the 24's maximum aperture is f/2.8 making it easier to do so than with the kit lens."

Not really a big factor. Let's consider a 24mm lens indoors at f2.8 and the subject is at 5 feet. The DOF is about 1 1/2 feet. The kit lens set to 24mm and the same distance to subject of 5 feet but f4 since the 18-55mm is a variable aperture lens. The DOF would be about 2 feet. Approximations for sure but the DOF advantage would be in inches. Hardly a deal maker or deal breaker. Now you may like using the 24mm and that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. 

EB

I’m sure you are correct at 5 feet from the subject. A group of 15-20 folks arranged in 1 or 2 rows at > 10 feet probably should be shot at a smaller f/stop as well to make sure all faces are in focus anyway!

But I do like my 24mm and don’t mind “zooming with my feet” if the space allows!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The numbers say, using the same params but, at 10 feet from subject, the DOF would be approx. 3 feet greater using the 17-55mm making it the more logical choice once again. Remember 24mm is 24mm no matter which lens you use. The determining factor is the aperture. If you select the same aperture on both lenses at 24mm and distance to subject, the DOF is identical.

You said, "...  I wanted to limit depth of field for some reason,...". The led me to believe you wanted a more shallow DOF and using the first example, you would gain only about 6 inches of DOF difference.  Now I gather you are wanting more DOF to make sure faces are sharp. In that case both lenses are equal in DOF at 24mm.

Again nothing wrong using your 24mm prime but your reasoning is flawed. No doubt it is a nice lens, a very nice lens.

EB
Announcements