Want a 2nd Canon Body - Upgrade suggestions from EOS 80D

ibskiing
Contributor

Hello,

I currently own a Canon D80 with the following lens:

• Canon EF-S 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6
  • Canon EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6
  • Sigma 200-600mm F/5-6.3

I would like a 2nd body that is comparable to my D80, but an upgrade even slight would be preferable.  I shoot primarily wildlife and I am going on an African safari in June, planning to take my 18-135 and my Sigma 200-600.  Everything I have read suggested having two camera bodies and not trying to switch lens on a safari due to the dust. I would like to stay under $1,000 if possible.  Definitely looking for something that would have better light gathering capability.

I believe my Sigma is full frame compatible along with my 70-300.  Would you recommend a used full frame or one of the new more affordable mirrorless cameras, like the Canon RP.    I might even step up to the R8, which I have found for just over $1,000.

Thanks, Jim

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I would like a 2nd body that is comparable to my D80 ..."

Logical choice is the D90. It will work in seamlessly with your current D80 and is an upgrade. It is Canon's best effort in a DSLR crop format camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ibskiing
Contributor

Thanks I was only thinking of using the Sigma and the my Canon EF 70-300 on the R8.  I like the idea of a newer model so I can eventually buy some better dedicated lens.  I read where several people have used the R8 with the my Sigma lens and said they get great results. 

I was thinking full frame for a second camera would be nice and give me better low light capability and again I would probably upgrade the lens at some point.

Short term I am looking for a 2nd camera body for my Safari.  If I got the R7 or 8, I would put the Sigma lens on that camera with an adapter and put my EF-S lens on my D80.

Do you see an issue with that or do you have a better suggestion.

Thanks, Jim

March411
Rising Star

The 90D would make a nice upgrade as well as the R6 MII, I own both. The Sigma will be great on either body but Sigma suggests ensuring the firmware is up to date using their dock when mounting their lenses on an R body. With the Canon Adapter the R6 MII will adjust/reduce the crop automatically for most lenses. I use three lens specific to APS-C on the R6 with the Canon adapter that produce beautiful images, one is the 35mm macro S and two Sigma lenses.

When researching the purchase of another body the R7 was on the bucket list but the rolling shutter challenges and improved AF pushed me to the R6.

Which ever way you go go luck on the new body.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

With a $1k budget, and the desire for additional light gathering capability, the R8 is a clear winner.  It checks the most "boxes".  It will also allow your FF lenses to shine.

I would recommend a monopod to help support the heavier adapted lenses while you sit for extended periods. 

Other helpful items:

Plenty of spare batteries and memory cards. 

An air puffer to blow away loose dust.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements