cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used Canon EOS 40D 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera Body or New Canon EOS Rebel T3

hammrick
Apprentice

Which is a better Camera? Used Canon EOS 40D 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera Body or  New Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera (Body)

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you a pixel-peeper?

If not I doubt you can see the difference. I assume that is what you are referring to since you made mention of the MP of each. The MP of a camera is not the single evaluation point as the 40D is a very much better camera than a Rebel.

The 40D leans more toward the pro series cameras and the Rebel T3 is more towards the amateur line. IMHO, as always.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

hsbn
Whiz

40D has faster shutter lag, more sensitive focus point, higher dynamic range and larger screen whereas T3 has video and more megapixel.

Some comparision here: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3-vs-Canon_EOS_40D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

amfoto1
Authority

I'd go for the 40D over the T3, any day.

But I only use my DSLRs for stills. If you need video, the T3 can do it, while the 40D can't.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Whoa there! Digital prints are better than film, again IMHO, as you can do way more with digital than you can with film.

At least, it is way easier to PP digital. The best printing service is, yourself. You can make it as good as you want it.

Is it easy, no, if it were everybody would be doing it.

I have nationally published astro-photographer friends and they can spend hours on a single print. And a single print can have many, many shots compiled into a single print.

Comet-Ison_2013-11-18.jpg

Comet Ison and Spica.

EB

Oh, as to learning how. I suggest you try to find a local astronomy club close to you. It is better to have a hands on approach. A lot of the clubs have instructional classes on the sky and how to photograph it. 

This would be far better than any on-line youtube or whatever.

EB

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you a pixel-peeper?

If not I doubt you can see the difference. I assume that is what you are referring to since you made mention of the MP of each. The MP of a camera is not the single evaluation point as the 40D is a very much better camera than a Rebel.

The 40D leans more toward the pro series cameras and the Rebel T3 is more towards the amateur line. IMHO, as always.

EB

Thanks! I have an Elan 7ne Body, canon 22-55mm lens, canon 75-300 lens and speedlite 430ex Looking for a DSLR body to use with my lenses and flash, still very much an Amateur, do you know of any good online photography classes? I have a Celestron NexStar 90GT computerized telescope and would like to take some astronomy photos.

Why do some digital prints look digital and not as good as film prints? What would you recommend for a photo printing service?

http://digital-photo-printing-review.toptenreviews.com/

Whoa there! Digital prints are better than film, again IMHO, as you can do way more with digital than you can with film.

At least, it is way easier to PP digital. The best printing service is, yourself. You can make it as good as you want it.

Is it easy, no, if it were everybody would be doing it.

I have nationally published astro-photographer friends and they can spend hours on a single print. And a single print can have many, many shots compiled into a single print.

Comet-Ison_2013-11-18.jpg

Comet Ison and Spica.

EB

Oh, as to learning how. I suggest you try to find a local astronomy club close to you. It is better to have a hands on approach. A lot of the clubs have instructional classes on the sky and how to photograph it. 

This would be far better than any on-line youtube or whatever.

EB

hsbn
Whiz

40D has faster shutter lag, more sensitive focus point, higher dynamic range and larger screen whereas T3 has video and more megapixel.

Some comparision here: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3-vs-Canon_EOS_40D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

amfoto1
Authority

I'd go for the 40D over the T3, any day.

But I only use my DSLRs for stills. If you need video, the T3 can do it, while the 40D can't.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Announcements