cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade recommendation from EOS 50D to mirrorless model

srg6
Apprentice

I have 50D DSLR and I would like to upgrade to a mirrorless model. Budget is about $2000.00. I’m simply a hobbyist. Would appreciate recommendations. Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
What lenses do you currently have for your existing camera please - assuming the $2,000 would be for body and optics, knowing what is worth keeping may give us more flexibility.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
What lenses do you currently have for your existing camera please - assuming the $2,000 would be for body and optics, knowing what is worth keeping may give us more flexibility.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

srg6
Apprentice

I have a Canon Macro EF-S 60mm  1:2.8 "Ultrasonic" and a Canon EF-S 18 - 200mm  

Thanks

Thanks for that information.
For general use, I would suggest keeping the Ef-S 60mm for close-up and portrait work, selling the 50D and the 18-200 ( or hand it on, or keep it as a backup), and getting an EOS R7 with an RF-S 18-150 IS STM as your main walk around lens.  The R7 has face and eye tracking ability to help with your sports or portrait photography, it is the best build of the APS-C crop sensors (similar to your 50D).   The RF-S 18-150 offers you the maximum range of focal lengths in one lens, is economical and has stabilization that works with that of the R7 body giving you unprecedented levels of stabilization. 

To use the EF-S lens  you will need to get a EF-RF adapter. 
I am not in the US but suggest doing some research from your end.  Canon do offer refurbished bodies and lenses. Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R7 RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit |   This comes with a warranty and may, in fact, be brand new.   That leaves you some money for the EF-RF lens adapter within budget. If you eventually want more reach for your sports activities, then save up for the RF 100-400 IS USM and you will have a brilliant combination at a reasonable price - see Shop Canon Refurbished RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

I would also get a spare battery, and plastic lens hoods (3rd party unit is fine and much cheaper) and possibly good quality protect filters for the front of the lenses.   If you need SD cards make sure they are full-size units - not micro cards with adapters (those are unreliable): get either Lexar or SanDisk - a couple of 32GB or 64GB units rather than a single bigger unit  (the R7 has dual card slots), from a reputable dealer, as there are lots of duds out on the web.

I recommend you download the R7 Advanced User Guide  (c005.pdf (start.canon).   if you get this unit, to come to grips with the new features and you can find an extensive tutorial on You Tube on the camera:

cheers, TREVOR

Guess what I purchased today? 

Purchased the R-7 yesterday. Can you recommend a flash? Thanks 

What is your budget to spend on a speedlite. You can use any Canon EX or EL speedlite on your camera. Note older speedlites aren't compatible with the in camera flash menu. All settings must be set on the speedlite itself. Basic functionality will be available for certain speedlites which lack an LCD screen.

• EL-100 (entry level)
  • 430EX III-RT (mid level)
  • EL-5 
  • EL-1 (Professional Grade)

Speedlite Compatability PT. 1.pngSpeedlite Compatability PT. 2.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements