cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5DS R memory card recommendations

hvulpus
Contributor

Hi, I have an EOS 5D SR and am about to embark on a research trip which involves lots of photographs.  I notice that the USMA 7 cards that fit in the big card slot no longer seem to be readily available.  (The SD cards for the small slot seem in ample supply.  Any wisdom here?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You could contact SanDisk ad ask them. They don’t have a shelf life, s if you r cocrnd you could always get a few now. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

The Compact Flash cards are no longer used on current models.  The world has moved on to the CF Express cards now.  Still, I am seeing a reasonable range of CF cards on the market, so if you want to get a stock of them for your 5DsR (as I did for mine), then check out sites like Lexar, SanDisk, or Prograde.  

Using cards for storage past the shoot is not advisable, if you can take a device like a laptop and a CF Express card reader, I strongly encourage you to download each day's photos to the computer, using a CF USB card reader, confirm they are transferred and then format the card clean in camera for the next day's shoot. That way you need a lot fewer cards with you.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

IMG_1258.jpeg

 is this what you need?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes, but I am more concerned about finding UDMA 7 cards in the future.  Have they stopped making them?

The Compact Flash cards are no longer used on current models.  The world has moved on to the CF Express cards now.  Still, I am seeing a reasonable range of CF cards on the market, so if you want to get a stock of them for your 5DsR (as I did for mine), then check out sites like Lexar, SanDisk, or Prograde.  

Using cards for storage past the shoot is not advisable, if you can take a device like a laptop and a CF Express card reader, I strongly encourage you to download each day's photos to the computer, using a CF USB card reader, confirm they are transferred and then format the card clean in camera for the next day's shoot. That way you need a lot fewer cards with you.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You could contact SanDisk ad ask them. They don’t have a shelf life, s if you r cocrnd you could always get a few now. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks, This is what I have done.  Howard, New Rochelle, NY

Announcements