cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to update R6 firmware to 1.8.2 but getting message that "update file cannot be found"

mom_anders
Apprentice

I have followed the instructions and I have pasted the .fir file to my memory card, but whenever I try to actually update from that card, I get the message that "Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again. I have downloaded earlier firmware updates to see if it's just a problem with 1.8.2, but I get the same message.

I have also tried other memory cards to no avail. In addition, I tried to update via the EOS utility, but the message I got there was that it was not the correct firmware for my camera. Help?

(Mac Ventura OS)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have an EOS R6 or an EOS R6 Mark II? The firmware updates are not the same for both.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@mom_anders wrote:

I have followed the instructions and I have pasted the .fir file to my memory card, but whenever I try to actually update from that card, I get the message that "Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again. I have downloaded earlier firmware updates to see if it's just a problem with 1.8.2, but I get the same message.

I have also tried other memory cards to no avail. In addition, I tried to update via the EOS utility, but the message I got there was that it was not the correct firmware for my camera. Help?

(Mac Ventura OS)

Did you place then .fir file in the root directory of the card?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties.  Here is how I do firmware updates.

I use a dedicated SD card for firmware updates.  It is only 16GB.  I low level format it in the camera every time I get ready to use it.  I unpack the ZIP file, and place the update file in the root directory of the SD card, not in a sub folder.

If you are getting an error when you attempt to use the EOS Utility, then that could mean you are trying to use a firmware update that is not intended for your camera.  By that I mean, if you purchased your camera outside the United States, trying to use the firmware found on the Canon USA web site could likely generate the type of error you are seeing.

Every camera that Canon builds is intended for a specific market around the world.  This is done for a few technical reasons that are not important.  What is important is that you must use firmware that matches your camera’s “country of origin.”  

Here is another example.  A user in the United States may purchase a “grey market” camera because it was being sold at a discount below list price. A “grey market” camera is a camera that was not manufactured for sale in the US market.  Canon USA does not service “grey market” bodies.  They try to update their camera firmware from the Canon USA web site, and may get the same error that you are.

The SD card update may be reporting the same issue in a different way.  It is not finding the correct firmware for the camera’s country of origin.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have an EOS R6 or an EOS R6 Mark II? The firmware updates are not the same for both.

You are absolutely correct! Thank you so much! I knew it had to be something simple I was missing. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to hear that it is updated.

Thank you. Sure enough, I was downloading software for R6, not R6 Mark II. You saved me a call to Canon.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements