cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Understand the 5D Mk IV GPS Coordinates

thompsoncd
Contributor

I wanted to know the exact location of an image I created and so I got the GPS info from the metadata, it said:

Longitude 62; 7; 26.8619

Latitude 7; 4; 47.6579

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to enter this into Google Maps to see my location.

Google says there are three ways to enter this into Maps, but the Canon data doesn't seen to match any of their formats:

• Degrees, minutes, and seconds (DMS): 41°24'12.2"N 2°10'26.5"E
  • Degrees and decimal minutes (DMM): 41 24.2028, 2 10.4418
  • Decimal degrees (DD): 41.40338, 2.17403

Does anyone know how to translate the Canon data into something Google Maps can understand?

Each time I try entering it, it says I was in the Phillipines (I was not!).

Thanks for any help someone could offer!

Cole

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you close to the equator? You have to be if the lattitude is +/- 7 degrees.

Could you have lat.long mixed up.

Thank you "respected" Kvbarkley!

No, I was close to the Arctic Circle.

Properties Screenshot.jpg

I did mix up the latitude / longitude up in the post, but I think I entered it correctly in Google Maps.

I think my problem is the format for entering it.

Hey there, thompsoncd!

You're going to want to use the Map Utility software that came with the camera.

If you don't have it, you can download it from the Canon site HERE.

We hope this helps!

Norway? It is about 62 degree N, 7 E.

I would guess the format is degrees, minutes, fractional seconds

So for your latittude 62° 7' 26.86"

Well, that format (thanks kvbarkley) got me MUCH closer! But it put me in Norway and I was in the Faroe Islands.

I entered: 62° 7' 26.86", 7° 4' 47.66. It got the latitude right, but the longitude wrong. 

I manually located my shooting position on Google maps and then checked the lat/long and it was: 62.325086, -6.947092

That minus sign seemed significant and so I added a minus sign to my coordinates and then it worked: 

62° 7' 26.86", 7° 4' 47.66

Does anyone understand the differences between Canon and Googles coordinates?

Canon                  62° 7' 26.86", 7° 4' 47.66    Takes me to Norway

Google                 62.325086, -6.947092        Takes me to the right place

Revised Canon:   62° 7' 26.86", -7° 4' 47.66  Takes me to the right place

I'm just curious how the nomenclature works.

Cole

You are looking at different units of measure of angle.  Google is decimal degrees.  Canon is Degrees-Minutes=Seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It is how they specify east and west, either with an E/W or a +/- .

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I'm not sure what viewer you are using to look at your meta-data.  When I look at the info in Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4 software (right click the info and pick 'Info' then scroll down to the GPS section) I notice that for my camera there is a trailing N/S E/W value.   For example, the rows for GPS data in a sample image I selected say:

Latitude 42 18 15.6 N

Longitude 83 13 23.3 W

Altitude 180.50m

For declination values, some systems express latitudes north of the equator as positive and south of the equator as negative.  For longitude values, some systems express longitudes west of the prime meridian as negative and right of the prime meridian as positive.   So for example, if you were west of the prime meridian... instead of say you were so many degrees "West" you would just enter than as negative degrees.

When I look at the value in your file, I don't see the cardinal directions (N/S/E/W ... and you mention that the longitude only worked out correctly if it was expressed as a negative value, but I don't see that either.

You might try opening the image with Canon DPP4 and see how it's listed there.  This may be a nuance specific to whatever software you were using to view the coordinates (how it was decoding and displaying the coordinates.)  For what it's worth... I also use Adobe Lightroom and if I pick an image and view it in the "Map" module (which drops a pin on the map to mark the location where I took the photo) it is also correct (and correctly lists my longitudes which are "west" of the prime meridian.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements