cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiny insect got inside DSLR body - Viewfinder

brennamiletich
Apprentice

I've had almost 2 dozen beginner & intermediate DSLRs (Rebel series and 60 thru 80Ds) but I've never encountered this before. Somehow a furry bug got inside the camera body and is visible thru the viewfinder. Noticed yesterday, it is still alive today and can be seen moving. Super creepy.

Facts: Bug does not show up in images. Bug does not show up on live view. Bug is still there when a different lens is used. Can't quite make out what kind of bug it is. Camera is EOS 77D with 70-300mm IS USM lens (lens is an old version - hate the latest incarnation.)

Any ideas on what to do?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Brenna and welcome to the forum:

In this case the lens would seem to be not a factor.  Two questions arise from your post.  How did it get in there and how do you get it out?

For the former I shall ask if you have left the camera body with no body cap or lens attached? That would seem to be the most likely path - possibly, it landed on the innermost element of the lens as it was being attached - who knows?

As to getting it out...  My first suggestion would be to leave the body cap off for a period to see if the insect will find its way back out again.  Failing that (give it a fair go, though) then take it to an authorized service centre and see if they can help.  Trying to get it out yourself may cause damage to the camera that could incur a lot more expense.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Hmmm. Your camera has a bug in it. Trevor has a good idea. To go further, many bugs are attracted to light. Bear with me here. I turn off all lights except the one in the main bathroom. I wait until the critter shows up, close the door and swat! Try that with the open camera body. Worth a try. Let us know what happens.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Brenna and welcome to the forum:

In this case the lens would seem to be not a factor.  Two questions arise from your post.  How did it get in there and how do you get it out?

For the former I shall ask if you have left the camera body with no body cap or lens attached? That would seem to be the most likely path - possibly, it landed on the innermost element of the lens as it was being attached - who knows?

As to getting it out...  My first suggestion would be to leave the body cap off for a period to see if the insect will find its way back out again.  Failing that (give it a fair go, though) then take it to an authorized service centre and see if they can help.  Trying to get it out yourself may cause damage to the camera that could incur a lot more expense.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Hmmm. Your camera has a bug in it. Trevor has a good idea. To go further, many bugs are attracted to light. Bear with me here. I turn off all lights except the one in the main bathroom. I wait until the critter shows up, close the door and swat! Try that with the open camera body. Worth a try. Let us know what happens.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements