cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on EOS R1 sensor

Frito-1
Contributor

Hi All,

I have to admit that the 24MP sensor in the flagship camera is a bit of a disappointment.  I would like higher resolution without having to use PhotoShop to stitch pictures together.  Any one know why Canon did not go with a resolution closer to the R5?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, better hold on to your pants cause rumors have it that Canon will be annoucing, sometime in late August, the new MP monster,  👻 the EOS R1X/R1S.  The new Canon R1X/R1S will be the new "High Resolution Monster !  If you want to learn more click on the link below: 

https://youtu.be/ksJJEARUv9E?si=JnAyreRmUdJuNFNT

This will be the monster that everyone has been waiting for.  This monster will push aside all your arguments about Nikon Z8 and Z9, Sony Alpha 1, and Alpha 9 being better than Canon EOS R1s.  So now, it all makes sense why Canon introduced the R1 with 24.2MP specifically for the photo journalists and the sport reporters before the Olimpics.  Next it will introduce the monster that will be the all in one camera for everyone, that will goble up the competition.   I'm hearing with maybe 80MP and global shutter sensor,  that's bold.  Can't wait ! ! !   That should settle anyones complaints. 

How about that !

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

View solution in original post

71 REPLIES 71

So, better hold on to your pants cause rumors have it that Canon will be annoucing, sometime in late August, the new MP monster,  👻 the EOS R1X/R1S.  The new Canon R1X/R1S will be the new "High Resolution Monster !  If you want to learn more click on the link below: 

https://youtu.be/ksJJEARUv9E?si=JnAyreRmUdJuNFNT

This will be the monster that everyone has been waiting for.  This monster will push aside all your arguments about Nikon Z8 and Z9, Sony Alpha 1, and Alpha 9 being better than Canon EOS R1s.  So now, it all makes sense why Canon introduced the R1 with 24.2MP specifically for the photo journalists and the sport reporters before the Olimpics.  Next it will introduce the monster that will be the all in one camera for everyone, that will goble up the competition.   I'm hearing with maybe 80MP and global shutter sensor,  that's bold.  Can't wait ! ! !   That should settle anyones complaints. 

How about that !

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Thank you so much for stepping in. This is fantastic news.     

This is a rumor from a questionable source and it is nothing more than that. And unless and until it appears on the one well-regarded site that nails canon rumors with near 100 percent accuracy, it is to be taken with a grain of salt. 

A Canon R1X with an 80mp sensor and global shutter?  Not in our lifetime.  The technology isn’t there yet: at least not for consumer-grade products that can fit in your hand.  

Let me remind you: Sony’s global shutter A93 was delivered with a 24mp sensor (down from the 50mp A1).  And from what I hear, the dynamic range on it isn’t very good.  And Sony, as you know, is a large company with vast resources and electronics know how - more than Canon.  The products they produce - digital sensors included - are sure to be state-of-the-art.  What makes you think that a smaller company like Canon will be able to produce a far superior sensor like the one you proposed?  It’s highly unlikely.

Moreover, since when has Canon ever delivered a flagship camera with (comparatively) high mp counts?   

30-35mp, arguably 40 would have been appropriate for the R1… in the year 2024.  But 80mp?  That sounds extremely unlikely.  That much resolution is something one can safely say they would never need in a camera that needs excellent shooting performance.  (Maybe 10 years from now when sensor and processing technology allows an 80mp camera to shoot 40fps and take excellent low-light photos).

Joe: know I respect you, but I must admit I don't respect your source.  His site is click-bait heaven and he has made multiple wrong predictions already about Canon developments.  He managed to get himself as a source for Canon Rumors and their regular and trusted source basically went on strike.  It looks like they have pulled back from him now.

While I am sure we would all love to see a high MP camera and it may arrive, I don't think they will assign it the R1 badge, for the reasons I have repeatedly expressed and will not bore everyone here with.

If you look at the relative line-ups between the DSLR and MILC ranges the numbering system looks like this:

Tronhard_0-1722539189113.png###D - equals the numbering system outside North America and Japan, e.g. 350D, 400D (same as XTi) etc.

Now, there is a historical precedent for two hi-MP units: the 5Ds and 5DsR - I have the latter unit still.   They were essentially 5D units with a larger sensor and improved processor and buffer.

It would make sense, considering that Canon have generally kept to the same numbering convention across the two platforms, that such a high MP unit will be either a variant of the R5 or given one of the spare numbers: 2 would make the most sense as it would promote it close the the Tier 1 R1 for journalists.  Canon seem to have shied away from the other spare spots because four is considered an unlucky number in Japan because it sounds like "shi," which means "death". Similarly, the number nine is also considered unlucky because it sounds like "ku," which means "agony" or "torture".

That would not be a good omen in Japan or China - both big markets.   One has to be sensitive to these things.  Back when I was working in the fitness profession, Reebok once marketed the "Incubus," a shoe named for a demon who violates women in their sleep - it did not end well...  Amid a huge backlash, Reebok withdrew the shoe and replaced the packaging (luckily for them the name was not on the actual shoe).  "We apologize," said Dave Fogelson, director of public relations with Reebok, admitting that the company did not properly research the meaning of the word when it found the name was not trademarked. "I cannot imagine any responsible individual knowing what this name means and deciding that it's appropriate."

So, in the spirit of propriety and good public relations I would go for a model R2 if a high-MP camera does come out, and it's not an R5 variant.

So, while we wait for some kind of reliable info on the web (Canon Rumors have not used Ordinary Filmaker's material to date), they are hinting at an R6III, which could suit a lot of prosumers. 

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor,

I understand your point, however, I did qualify my post as a rumor and as rumors go they maybe right and they may not be.  The point is that Canon is not done and there is more to come and the message is, stay tuned.  As for who has a better batting average for their rumors being right, I don't know.  I like to know who the person is that's on strike that whose rumors you believe are mostly right, and you trust. I say mostly cause not all rumors are true, regardless of who is spouting them.  I posted the link cause I founded interesting and it did correctly say that "Canon is not done and there's more to come".  Time will tell what Canon comes up with next, and what they will call it but be assured that it will be something that canon customers are clamoring for.  As for the technology being there or not only Canon knows what they have.  I  know for a fact that companies will sit on technology so that they can maximize return on investment on the tech that they already have in the market.  So who is to say what Canon has up their sleeves.  Only Canon knows and the rest are rumors.  Only when Canon announces it will it be a truism.  😉

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Hi and welcome to the forum:
Thank you for your perspective.
Exactly.  Different realities.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tron, It seems that someone else knows the reality of the situation. The mark of a good photographer is the willingness to crawl through a swamp to get that lucky shot.  ARTEMIS I copy 2.jpg 

No, the mark of a good photographer is to wade through a swamp to make sure they reliably get the shot.  I was a professional for 40 years, I know what I'm talking about.
If you are waiting for a hi-MP R1, and you think it is coming under that banner, I am glad it gives comfort to you.

cheers, TREVOR

I don't remember telling anyone that they are wrong. What none of the answers gave was a good reason for the limitation and therefore wasn't an answer. None of the answers made sense in our current technological environment.  Then JFG posted his response which actually better defines my point and answers my question. Thanks to JFG for bringing some actual information to the chat rather than repeating Canon's marketing materials. Maybe the illuminary will be more illuminated by a rising star. It is apparent that the R1X is not ready for the Olympics and the R3 mark II AKA R1 was. Now I know what my next Camera will be.  

click here to view the gallery
Announcements