Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The R7 has a new feature just for me

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm 

Automatic leveling! Ken Rockwell shows it in action.

(Note that this link will expire in the sense that it will scroll down the page and disappear as new news is added.)

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Ha!  As an ex-engineer and surveyor, I am rather fixated on things being horizontal or plumb.  Most people have an inclination to tilt to one side or another as, almost without exception, we have one leg slightly shorter than the other, tending us to tilt a bit to one side - something our brain compensates for, but not (until now) the camera.   I have always displayed a level on the viewfinder or screen to help me, but I was helped when I had a knee replacement, and the surgeons were kind enough to make sure both legs were exactly the same length!   The disadvantage of the R7 is, as I understand it, that the camera will crop some of the FoV to get the scene horizontal again, but one would have to do that anyway in PP. 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I don't think any cropping is involved, if you look at the link it really looks like the sensor rotates!

Agreed; there shouldn't be any cropping involved with this specific correction.  I would imagine though that if IBIS is additionally enabled, then some cropping would occur.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

That IS interesting.  The article I read on that seemed to show the image cropped.  Well, if that is so, it's a great feature, but given I don't have an R7, I shall just have to muddle along with the horizon display!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements