cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test functionality of LC-E8E charger

RogerC493
Apprentice

How do I test the LC-E8E to determine if it is working properly and will fully charge the LP-E8 battery?  Even though a volt meter shows the battery has 8+volts DC the battery meter in my T3i only shows half-charge.

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  a volt meter shows the battery has 8+volts ..."

Unless you 'load' a battery, a volt meter doesn't tell you much.  If your batteries are not coming out fully charged that is really all you need to know.  Isn't it?  Either the charger is faulty or the battery is.  A good way to go is buy a new battery.  It is nice to have two batteries anyhow.  Plus that will tell you if it was the battery or the charger.  If the brand new battery holds a full charge you had a bad battery and not a faulty charger.  If the brand new battery doesn't charge....well.....you know!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...  a volt meter shows the battery has 8+volts ..."

Unless you 'load' a battery, a volt meter doesn't tell you much.  If your batteries are not coming out fully charged that is really all you need to know.  Isn't it?  Either the charger is faulty or the battery is.  A good way to go is buy a new battery.  It is nice to have two batteries anyhow.  Plus that will tell you if it was the battery or the charger.  If the brand new battery holds a full charge you had a bad battery and not a faulty charger.  If the brand new battery doesn't charge....well.....you know!

Make sure that you only buy Canon batteries from a reputable Canon dealer!  There have been many recent problems related to using third party batteries, as well as counterfeit Canon batteries.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ok.  My owners manual (pg. 33) indicates a fully charged battery symbol of a black battery with 2 white lines in the middle and right hand side of the battery symbol.  My camera shows a white background with1 black line, which, according to the manual, indicates a low battery.  I have 2 brand new batteries and 1 original to the camera.  All 3 show the same thing in the camera display.  2 batteries LP-E8  reached full charge on my new charger LC-E8C.  I suspected my original charger LC-E8E ito be faulty, but yet it fully charged one of the new batteries.  All the batteries look the same and test the same.  The original battery LP-E8 was also made in China.  A fourth battery fully charged yesterday, but today it is testing as" Battery will be exhausted soon (Blinks)."   I'll toss that one.

I am at a loss to figure this out. Is my owners manual correct?  Is my camera faulty?  Are the chargers working properly?  Are the batteries okay?

Roger,

"Make sure that you only buy Canon batteries from a reputable Canon dealer!"

They are real deal Canon batteries?  You have real deal Canon chargers?  I assume one, set, came with the camera?

If, yes, is the answer, call Canon service today.  If no, you wil need to buy real Canon gear first.  If it is third party or counterfeits, who knows what is wrong.  They could even catch fire.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Can anyone with a EOS600D body tell me what your battery strength icon looks like on the display screen?  My operator manual shows a fully charged battery as all black with 2 white diagonal lines, whereas my T3i display shows my battery as all white with 2 black diagonal lines.  Is this a misprint in the manual or is my camera at fault?

Announcements