cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technical Question About A Film Camera

photographyguy1
Contributor

A couple of weeks ago, I went down to the river to take pictures of the bald eagles with my Canon EOS Elan IIE. With the wind blowing, it was very cold and several times, the battery indicator would flash like it was dead. I believe it was just because it was too cold. Every time that the battery indicator would flash, I would turn the mode dial to lock. I would leave it in lock for a few moments then I would return the mode dial to the shooting mode that I was using. I ended doing this several times when I was shooting. What I failed to realize was that every time I turned my camera's mode dial to lock and turned it back, the camera would automatically advance the roll of film to the next frame. This essentially caused me to skip unused frames on the roll of film that I was using. I was wondering if turning the mode dial from lock to a shooting mode is supposed to cause the camera to advance the roll of film to the next exposure or is this not normal? If this happens again, is there a way for me to manually rewind the film to the frame that was skipped? It is very annoying to have this happen and it is a potential waste of film if the camera keeps wanting to skip frames when the mode dial gets turned from lock to a shooting mode. 

2 REPLIES 2

Yorptunes
Enthusiast

I have no experience with your type of camera.  I am of the digital age and very much respect your type of photography.  I did do a little research for you and I found this link whcih might help you.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/eoscamera/EOSElanIIE5055/eos50ElanIIspec...

From what I gleaned your film could very well advance when you change modes.  

If this link doesn't help you perhaps an expert will be on in a couple of days.  Canon technical support does answer questions on this forum.  

Happy New Year John

Actually, I'm a digital photographer like you but within the last few weeks, I have picked up two 35mm cameras (the Elan IIE and a Pentax K1000SE) so I am trying to learn film photography. I grew up in the film era before digital but I did not get into photography until 2008. I'll take a look at that link.

Announcements