cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7i is 7 years old and having issues, should I get it fixed, or upgrade?

strux
Contributor

I'm increasingly getting the Error 01 code (The communication between the camera and lens is faulty) with both my lenses, so I'm guessing it's the body. Removing the lenses and putting them back on helps for a few shots, but then it's back to the error.

It seems like I just bought that camera , but I bought it in 2017, so it's 7 years old. It's in great shape otherwise. Hardly any wear, but I've read that getting them repaired is expensive, so I'm wondering if I should bother, or just upgrade to a new one? 

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is one of your lenses a big, heavy one?

I would say: Upgrade!

Yes! I have a 70/200.

It is unlikely, though possible that hanging that big lens on the camera damaged the mount. Are you having any light leak issues?

Try pushing up on the lens in the direction of the contacts and see if that helps.

Hi Keith:
I see what you are getting at, but I would have thought most people would support the camera with the weight-bearing hand under the lens, or on a tripod mount, and the body is not really heavy in itself.
@STUX:  Is that how you hold the camera with that 70-200 attached?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

most people would support the camera with the weight-bearing hand under the lens, or on a tripod mount.

Back when I was a tech, that's how I always recommended holding the camera and a heavier lens. Just to prevent any extra stress on the mount. 

There have been a few times I put it on a monopod without holding the lens. 

Not noticing light leaks. Could it be humidity? It's been rainy and humid here, but today is dry, and I've tried changing the lenses and turning the camera on and off several times, and haven't had the problem (so far). 

snwj
Contributor

I assume you cleaned both lens and camera contacts...

Yes. Several times.

Announcements