cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(T7) Uploading in Monochrome

calebthepilot
Contributor

I shot a lot of photos recently. As I went to upload them to my imac through the SD card, i noticed that the photos i shot in monochrome were converted to color in the apple photos app. I then connected the camera to my phone wirelessly and tried to upload them directly to my iphone. The same thing happened, where once they were in the photos app, they were converted to color. I know this is a filter, not a conversion. But how do I keep it in monochrome?

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You left out a minor detail: You are shooting in raw. Many of the canon raw settings are proprietary, or ignored by third party processors, which would do a different monochrome rendition, anyway. If you want the RAW to come out just like the jpeg preview, use Canon's DPP.

Thank you! I completely ignored that!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

To further this explanation a bit, all data collected by the camera, any camera, is raw data. Raw is simply ones and zeros. The conversion to jpg happens as the camera saves the image. If you don't save as jpg there is no conversion going on.  If you transfer a B&W jpg from your camera it should remain a B&W jpg. A Raw file can not be looked at. Since it is just comprised of 1's and 0's no editor or viewer can let look at it. It must be processed or converted. Raw files contain some metadata to tell the editor or viewer how to do this.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements