cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i 700D video recording stops

Lan205
Contributor

I tried to record a video this morning and the recording shut off after a few seconds. I keep seeing the 5 level indicator on my display. I don't understand about slow writing speed.  My memory card still has 75% space available and has a mix of photos and videos already on it.  I had no issues a few months ago when recoring videos.   I have never had this happen before.  I tried another memory card and it records videos perfectly.  Any ideas why my current card stopped allowing me to record videos?  Thanks in advance for any comments.

14 REPLIES 14

Peter
Authority
Authority
Spoiler

Take a backup of your videos and photos and low level format the card in camera after that.

Screenshot_20200604-205615.jpg

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

When cards get close to full, especially when there has been a lot of deleting/ adding, the card can get fragmented leaving a bunch of little holes all over the place rather than one big chunk.

Think of dumping a wheelbarrow in the yard. If you can just dump the dirt in one big pile, it goes pretty fast. But if you have to take it out in shovelfuls and figure out where you are going to place them it can take a lot longer.

The card is only 25% full and this card has always been in this camera and was initially formatted when it was 1st put into the camera.  I don't delete pictures off  the card (unless I take a bad one).

One more thing.  I haven't changed any setting either.

Peter
Authority
Authority

When did you low level format the card last time? Previously written cells must be erased before they can be rewritten with new data. If the flash disk is forced to reuse cells rather than use new ones while storing data, performance will plummet.

And is your card a speed class 6 or better?

I formatted when the card was new.  I have uploaded all pics to my computer but don't want to reformat the card and wipe it clean.  Why was I able to take videos 3 months ago on it and not now when no settling have been changed?

I'm not sure of the card speed but I've been using this type of card for years.  This is the 1st time I've had this problem.  I could record until I was out of space and the card was full. 

Read again what I wrote. And I am talking about low level format. Not the fast format.

I have no idea what a low level format is.  W

It looks like the box is prechecked to do a low level format on the screen, so I'm sure that's what I did when the card was formatted initially

Announcements