cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5 or SL1 ?

dancingdiva
Apprentice

I am a hairstylist and I want to take my  client portfolio pictures to a better level than my current Iphone 6 camera.  I do have an old point & shoot canon s5is but it's been recommended that I upgrade to a dslr so I have been doing a tad bit of research and ended up at the refurbished section here on canon.  My budget allows for either the T5 or SL1.

The T5 has one either with just the standard 18-55mm lens or I can choose that plus the 75-300mm lens. The SL1 is only with the 18-55. May I ask for suggestions on which would be a better fit for my specefic use? I desire better quality images than that of my Iphone.

I will use it primarily for taking pictures of my clients hairstyles both indoor and outdoor. 

Thank you kindly.

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think the T5 is a better camera than the SL1.  Both cameras were designed to be entry level DSLRs.  The SL1 was designed to be the smallest DSLR body.  It is too small for my male hands. 

The T5 is a great entry level camera.  I suspect that it may soon be discontinued, which would explain the lower selling price.  The prices they are asking for the T5 two lens kit is a steal.  I bought a new one for my son last spring for nearly twice that price, including tax and shipping.

You may wish to invest in a quality tripod for indoor portraits.  They do not have quality tripods at the big box stores, just plastic ones that shake and break too easily.  People around here can help you with tripods, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you kindly!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I would recommend T5 for your needs. Get 18-135 zoom for general use and 50mm f/1.8 STM for portraits of your clients. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I agree with jrhoffman's recommendation of T5 and the 18-135 lens.  If there is not a kit offered with the 18-135 and you can't fit it into your budget separately, go for an 18-55 kit lens package. Also agree the 50mm f/1.8 is good to have. 

Do do not buy the 75-300 telephoto lens. It gets horrible reciews for image quality. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thank you all very much. I was so stuck on which to purchase. Your feedback was truly needed and is appreciated.  Have a great night guys!

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I would recommend T5 for your needs. Get 18-135 zoom for general use and 50mm f/1.8 STM for portraits of your clients. 

That guy's wise.  The low f-number means the lens will work better in low light situations than one with a higher number.

Supplies are can be very limited at the refurbished store.  If you plan to buy, don't wait too long.

Ty Waddizzle for that tip as I don't know what any of these number/letter codes mean. I did order those items last night along with a lens cap.  I'm searching the net on this model and just trying to learn as much about it as I can. I also plan to take a local photog class at our library. I'm scared I might actually like it and change professions lol.  But again, thank each of you for your insight and speedy replies.  You guys are awesome!

P.S.
If you guys know or could link me to any resources on the net that is good for a beginner photographers that would be awesome.

Have a great day loves!

Canon has a knowledge base and video tutorials.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/

Click on the link that's called Canon Digital Learning Center. 

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos101_cll.shtml

That's a good start.

"If you guys know or could link me to any resources on the net that is good for a beginner photographers that would be awesome." 

Oops, I forgot to add ...  Do a web search for "  exposure triangle  ".  It will be a blur the first time you read about it now.  After you use the camera some, take that class, and watch the Canon videos, hopefully it will make more sense.

Announcements