cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i Video Playback info

joolsdiane
Apprentice

Having recorded a video with subject the zoomed. When I playback the video how can I tell what zoom value was set for the recording?

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I do not believe that lens information is included in the standard metadata for video files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The lens was not attached, the Canon was connected to a telescope, and I used the zoom in Live view mode.

Canon DSLRs do not have digital zoom.  The magnification feature on the rear screen  is mainly used for focusing purposes.  All images and video will be captured at the standard sizes.

Forgive my ignorance but I have only had, this my first DSLR, for one week. However, I just attached the camera to my telescope, entered video mode, looked at some distant trees and live view crop zoomed 7x. I did a video recording, When I replayed the video, it showed the trees zoomed up 7x, so I suggest my Canon 600D does record the zoomed live view.

Recording of magnified views is not supported in either video mode or stills mode.  Despite appearances, the DSLR camera body cannot control the “zoom” on an attached lens.  The display electronics can only magnify the view for focusing. 

13915382-D0AF-4045-AEE3-60FDAE559F71.jpeg

Here is a link to the Canon USA Support Page for the T3i.  There are links to download free software and user manuals for the software and the apps.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-rebel-t3i 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you have only had the camera for a week, then I assume that your camera is used.  You want to restore the camera settings to a known state, just as if it were new from the factory.  So, I strongly suggest that you carefully go through all the camera menus and reset everything that you can find that has a reset function.

Switch the top dial to P mode, which will allow the camera to display the full menu system.  Look for the menu item that refers to restoring factory default settings.  This will reset most camera settings, but not all of them.

Most menu items offer a selection list of settings.  The options that present a list of settings do not require or have a reset function.  These items are reset and restored to their factory defaults by the global reset/restore option..

Some menu items actually open their own submenu system of options.  These are the settings that are not restored when you perform the global factory reset.  These settings have their own separate reset function that you must use.  There are several menu options that have their own reset function.

Yes, I purchased a used Canon. I will look at the factory reset option. Thanks for your help. For now, I have to turn my attention to other matters, but I hope to look at the camera again in a few weeks.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements