Stolen R5

Fletch581
Apprentice

Hey friends, 

Bad news... My trusty R5 got swiped on a train. I have it registered on the canon website. I'm curious if anyone has any insight regarding how to use the serial number to potentially track where the camera is? Someone mentioned using the metadata to track where the camera is being used. Any information would be awesome. Thanks so much

8 REPLIES 8

ctitanic
Rising Star

Did you report the case with the police including the SN? That would be the first step, lets say that they are working in a case where they confiscate what they may believe are stolen goods. If they have an open case they may contact you about your camera.

The may problem is that most of the cases opened are localized meaning, if the camera was recovered in a different county most likely they will not know about your case.

Using the SN to track is hard because most Social sites do not allow or show the EXIF information, you have to be lucky enough to have pictures of your camera posted at Flickr.

But I stick to my first comment, report the case to the police including the SN in your report.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I would say it's gone. Thieves are smart and won't fence stolen items in the same town. It will be in another place, miles from you.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

March411
Rising Star

I can't offer any suggestions but wanted to say that I am very sorry that your camera was boosted, that is a shame.

It may be covered under a homeowners or rental insurance policy if you have one.

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Unless your camera is fitted with an Airtag or similar, there is no way to track it.  It doesn't have a way to check in with anything.  It connecting to bluetooth or wireless is not a means for it to report itself.  The only thing you can do is register it with your local PD.  As others have stated however, the chance of recovery is nearly zero.  Its unfortunate and we're sorry to hear about it.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

But even if the camera has an airtag you may face the police restrictions and limitations such as they can't enter a house without a warrant or the permission of the owner.

Check this article:

https://www.diyphotography.net/photographer-has-his-gear-stolen-claims-police-do-nothing/

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I would say it's gone."

Sorry he's correct. ☹️

"It may be covered under a homeowners or rental insurance policy if you have one."

Again, sorry as that is not likely unless you have a specific writer that covers photo gear.

You can try registering it with an online tracking service like the Stolen Camera Finder but here again, "I would say it's gone."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yeap, that's the sad reality. The odds of getting it back are minimal or 0.

Frank

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Bummer for sure. I feel for ya.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements