cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still pics and video camera recommendations

rtrinidad
Apprentice

Hi im a dad and realtor that bought rebel t5i many years ago. It does not do video very well. I do hire a pro to take my real estate listing pics but I do my own shooting for the rentals I manage. I also want to start shooting video of my kid’s soccer games to create montage reals for collage coaches. Which camera do you think is best for me? R50 or M50 or other?

6 REPLIES 6

March411
Rising Star

Hello rtrinidad, welcome to the site.

At this point the R50 would be a better choice then the M50. The M50 system has been discontinued and has limited lens availability.

I own the R50 and it is light weight and fairly small but does perform well for the reduced expense.

That being said if you decide to purchase the R50 you have a decent amount of lenses to choose from and system (R bodies and lenses) that will be supported for the foreseeable future.

There may be better options but you didn't mention a budget so I offered feedback based specifically to your question.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
Personal Gallery

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greeting,

Welcome rtrinidad.  In addition to March411's recommendations, please provide a budget for us to work with.  For real estate photography, I might prefer a full frame camera.  The R50 is great too, but we might recommend a different body budget allowing.  This could also be influenced by lenses you may own now.  Note however, EF or EF-S lenses would need to be adapted.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I might prefer a full frame camera."

Rick has a point here that you should consider. Crop sensor cameras have a more difficult time getting wider lenses which are more preferable for real estate photography. Not impossible but like Rick, I myself, would prefer a full frame camera. However, any R series camera will do what you want. And make sure you use RF lenses too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

rtrinidad
Apprentice

Thanks Guys for your response and help! As far as budget, I only plan on taking real estate pics 6 times a year at the most and will be focusing this year (season) on getting sports videos my daughters soccer games for a collage reel. That being said, i plan on paying no more than $1,500 for the whole (complete) setup. Also I do have a canon zoom lens EF 70-200mm 1:2.8. Do you know if this will work on the R50? Is it even a good lens to shoot soccer videos? 

March411
Rising Star

rtrinidad the EF 70-200mm is a good lens but you will need the Mount Adapter EF-EOS R that go for about $130 US. I use my 70-200mm on the R50 to shoot my grandsons baseball and basketball games with nice results. I get some great images but only shoot stills. If you mount the lens on the R50 I would suggest supporting the gear by the lens and not the camera body. The R50 is fairly small and the lens may put some unnecessary strain on the mount..

Canon currently has a R8 refurbished kit within your budget and you would still have enough for the adapter to use your 70-200mm. Video on the R8 Canon touts Movie Digital IS. Record stable videos efficiently with minimum equipment, even when shooting handheld, with Movie Digital IS 5-axis image stabilization. Camera-shake vibrations are reduced even more through coordinated control of Movie Digital IS when using a RF lens featuring optical image stabilization.

Continuous Movie Recording That Exceeds 30 Minutes. The EOS R8 camera can continuously record 4K UHD or Full HD video for up to 2 hours at 29.97 fps, allowing you to set up your video and keep your project rolling without worrying about it stopping.

Refurbished EOS R8 RF24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit - $1350

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-eos-r8-rf24-50mm-f4-5-6-3-is-stm-lens-kit?color=Black&t...

• 24.2 Megapixel full-frame CMOS image sensor
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF II
  • Uncropped 4K movie at up to 60 fps that is oversampled from 6K
  • Max movie record time of 2 hours
  • In-camera compositing
  • 2.36 million dots OLED EVF
  • 3.0” 1.62 million dots vari-angle LCD touchscreen
  • UVC/UAC compatibility for webcam and streaming

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
Personal Gallery

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I, too, would prefer the R8, if possible. You get the exact same warranty on Canon refurbs as you do on a brand new R8.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements