cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter Count for 6Dmii Windows

Earl_Xin
Apprentice

I'm having trouble finding shutter counter software out there that currently supports the 6Dmii on windows. What are some recommendations? Preferably free.

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Earl_Xin wrote:

I'm having trouble finding shutter counter software out there that currently supports the 6Dmii on windows. What are some recommendations? Preferably free.

Shutter count is pretty meaningless.  It is a Red Herring.  When someone records 10 minutes of video, that is one shutter count.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Peter
Authority
Authority
You can try Astro Photography Tool and report back here if it works. It is not really a software for shutter count, but with older cameras like 6D it works. The other 6 ways cost all money.

@Earl_Xin,

Truely a waste of your time.  Some of these tools can actually modify installed FW which might cause additional problems.  As Wadizzle points out, shotting video constitutes one accuation. 

If you you must know what the shutter count is, send the body to Canon.  In the end however, what you find out will not be truely representative of the overall condition of a body you might be considering. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"Shutter count is pretty meaningless. ... When someone records 10 minutes of video, that is one shutter count."

Spot on!  Canon is the only place to get an accurate and true shutter clicks count.  Some places claim to be able to extract it but how close is it.  Some hit right on and some miss by 1,000's. Makes it impossible to trust them!   If it is a used camera you are buying, check it out carefully. If it passes, buy it and don't look back. Just go out and enjoy it. If the shutter blows at some point, have it replaced it ain't a big deal.  Then you will have a known zero shutter count!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have tried 5 free for my 7D and 6D. The shutter count has been the same as the shutter count I got from Canon. Well, at Canon I got "less than 32000" for 7D and "less than 30000" for 6D.

I will revisit the same Canon service center next year to fix the aperture wheel and will ask again about the shutter count just for fun.

Should the shutter count be trusted? Well, it is easy to reset both the shutter count and the total count. If the "wrong" owner has owned the camera before you it is possible that the "wrong" owner has changed 1000000 exposures down to 1000 exposures.

IMG_20191218_194734.jpgIMG_20191218_194721.jpg

"...at Canon I got  ... "less than 30000" for 6D."

Well, Peter did they tell you if it was less than 30,000 shutter clicks or less than 30,000 videos?  In my mind a video is far more stressful to a camera mech than a single photo. Don't you see how ambiguous shutter count has become? Maybe fun to know but not much else.

EB

Peter
Authority
Authority
I think I have done 30 videos total with that camera.

I bought my first 1Ds this autumn. Less than 2000 shutter clicks but more important, it was in mint condition. The menu is like the old EOS D2000. A little bit of surprise.

"I think I have done 30 videos total with that camera."

Peter,

That is because you know these cameras but what if you didn't?  WHat if you were buying used?  The shutter count anymore doesn't tell the whole story.  That is all we are tying to say. Not to mention the third party software to collect that data may not be able to get the correct count in the first place.

Just like my argumentative friend, with whom I regularly disagree with, but totally agree with on this one says, "Shutter count is pretty meaningless.  It is a Red Herring."

EB
Announcements