cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I keep my Canon Rebel T7 or return it.

milkyberly7
Apprentice

I just wanted some advice. I'm a beginner photographer, I just bought my first camera a Canon EOS Rebel T7 , but now that I'm reading more and more reviews I was thinking of getting a Canon 60d body with a 50mm lens since I'm planning on doing fashion photography. But will the T7 be good for portraits or should I return my camera once it comes in and get something else? My budget I'm willing to spend is ($400).

3 REPLIES 3

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

$400 is a very small budget to work with for fashion photography.  

The T7 is a very stripped down beginner camera that lacks a lot of features that more experienced photographers depend on.  If you can, I would return it. Even though the T7 and T7i  have similar names, the T7i is a much more capable camera and that is why it costs much more.

I like your idea.... The 60D and EF 50mm f/1.8 STM would be a great start and can give you fantastic results.

When you can afford a little more, the T7i, 77D, and 80D, are all very good cameras that you could upgrade to.

Mike Sowsun

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you have a $400 budget, I would be inclined to say keep the T7.  But, it really depends on where you are buying it.  Where?  Does it one or two lenses?  You may want to check out the Canon Online Refurbished Store, too.  This the spot for the best Canon deals. 

The T7 is probably capable of capturing better images than a 60D.  One, it is much newer technology.  The T7 has 24MP vs 18MP in the 60D.  The native ISO range of the T7 seems to match that of the 60D.  The T7 is still supported by Canon Service, and can be repaired, while I do not think that is true of the 60D.  

You get a full year warranty with the T7, but this really depends upon where you are buying it from!!!  Make sure you are buying from a Canon Factory Authorized Dealer.  Amazon and eBay are not good places for novices to buy camera gear.

Finally, if the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens is available at the Canon Online Refurbished Site, find a way to buy ti.  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-50mm-f-18-stm-refurbished 

It will really help you get blurry backgrounds on portrait shots.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"If you have a $400 budget, I would be inclined to say keep the T7."

Yes for all the reasons listed above.  Features are just features if you don't need them.  At one time cameras had no features at all except the photographer.

I am another vote to not buy a 60D.  That is a bad idea.  I am all good with upping your game and getting an 80D. If you buy the T7 and you take off with this you will be buying another camera later on. So, do you buy it once or twice? Sometimes up front cheap is not really cheap. Decision is up to you!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements