cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor Damage? Bright spot on image

zasatko
Apprentice

Curious if anyone might be able to point out if what I'm experiencing is sensor damage or something else. I had sensor debri which I cleaned off using a sensor cleaning kit and air, which seemed to do the trick after much work. It seems as though my focus screen was slightly scratched from a separate issue..but now I'm experiencing a half "oval" of area on the bottom or side (depending on portrait or landscape orientation) of any of my images I take that are underexposed. It only seems to appear on images that are underexposed..other images I haven't had a problem. I would assume it has nothing to do with the focus screen since this shouldn't effect the actual exposure. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

IMG_1688.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If that's consistent from image to image then it's likely your lens -- not the sensor.  A sensor can get "stuck" pixels but these are isolated individual pixels or in extreme cases... whole rows, but not semi-circular regions.  

Do you have another lens you can swap onto the camera to test? 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks very much for your reply!  The first image was taken with 50mm f/1.4 I've attached another image which was just taken with a 24-105mm. When underexposed, again, you can vaguely make out the affected area..When images are properly exposed, it's not really noticeable. I'm thinking the best bet at this point may be to send to Canon.

IMG_1882.jpg

I doubt seriously it is a lens issue. A good guess is, you got the sensor too wet.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Mykolas
Authority

Hi zasatko!

Thank you for posting.  Your camera will need to be serviced by our Factory Service Center.  To start your repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements