cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Camera?

HPL
Enthusiast

I shoot special events, weddings, corporate functions, livestock, and wildlife.  I have been shooting a couple of EOS 30D's for several years but just purchased a 7D MKII.  I am somewhat torn as to what to get for my second camera now.  Should I just go with another 7DMkII or should I go with something like the 6D?  ? I've been shooting two matching bodies for quite a while now and it does make things really simple, but a full frame body would have a noticabel effect on the way my lenses see.   Any thooughts?

9 REPLIES 9

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Normally a full frame camera will have noticeably better ISO performance (low noise at high ISO) although the 7D II seems to be getting good reviews in ISO performance.

What you'll mostly experience is the difference that full-frame offers... e.g. the angle of view will be wider for all lenses and that means you'll be likely to stand closer to compose a shot given the same focal length lens.  That "standing closer" behavior can be used to create shallower depth of field and stronger background blur.

If you have any EF-S lenses then you wouldn't be able to use them with a full-frame body -- you didn't mention anything about lenes in your question so I'm just throwing that out there in case it's a consideration for you.

The focus system on the 7D II is very different than the 6D.  The 6D has an 11 point AF system which resembles the typical 9 point system... except they squeeze in two more points left and right of the center point.  And of course the 6D wont come anywhere close to the continuous shooting speed of the 7D II.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@HPL wrote:

I shoot special events, weddings, corporate functions, livestock, and wildlife.  I have been shooting a couple of EOS 30D's for several years but just purchased a 7D MKII.  I am somewhat torn as to what to get for my second camera now.  Should I just go with another 7DMkII or should I go with something like the 6D?  ? I've been shooting two matching bodies for quite a while now and it does make things really simple, but a full frame body would have a noticabel effect on the way my lenses see.   Any thooughts?

My opinion (which may not be widely shared in this group) is that the 7D is an excellent event camera. Since it's lighter than a FF camera, it's less inconvenient to carry two of them, which is important at fast-paced events where changing lenses is impractical. In many respects the 7D is a better camera than the 6D; and if it lives up to its specs, the 7D2 will be better yet. IMO, the sole advantage of a FF camera for photographing events is that it's sometimes a better match for a 70-200 lens, which is arguably the most versatile event lens available.

And many consider a crop camera better for wildlife photography as well. Almost from the day the 7D2 was announced, wildlife photographers were lining up to buy it.

If you nevertheless have your heart set on eventually going FF (as I did until I bought my 5D3), you might consider a used or refurbished 7D as your second camera. Those should be fairly cheap for the next couple of months. And that ought to hold you until you feel you can justify a 5D3 (or the almost inevitable 5D4). If I were in your shoes, I think I'd pass on the 6D.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I used the original 5D through the CPS loan program and pretty much hated it.  The build was too light and plasticy feeling for me. I suppose I should really get my hands on a later model and see how they feel.  I like the APS-C sensors most of the time.  I seldom really need a wide angle and there are times when even with my 600 I need a bit more reach, but, that being said, there are times when I might benefit from wider angles and shallower depth of field. My next camera will be a "second" body, that is why I have been considering a full frame.  Will certainly be looking refurb or previously owned.  Even previously owned, a 5D Mk? would be hard to justify.

@HPL wrote:

I used the original 5D through the CPS loan program and pretty much hated it.  The build was too light and plasticy feeling for me. I suppose I should really get my hands on a later model and see how they feel.  I like the APS-C sensors most of the time.  I seldom really need a wide angle and there are times when even with my 600 I need a bit more reach, but, that being said, there are times when I might benefit from wider angles and shallower depth of field. My next camera will be a "second" body, that is why I have been considering a full frame.  Will certainly be looking refurb or previously owned.  Even previously owned, a 5D Mk? would be hard to justify.

If you don't like the 5D series, you probably won't like the 6D either. I agree with Biggs: if you like your 7D2, buy another one. If you absolutely have to have greater WA and lower DOF, I guess you'll need a 1DX.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@HPL wrote:

If you don't like the 5D series, you probably won't like the 6D either. I agree with Biggs: if you like your 7D2, buy another one. If you absolutely have to have greater WA and lower DOF, I guess you'll need a 1DX.

I was just going to say the same thing.  The 6D doesn't quite have the feel of the later 5D bodies.  It's designed as an "entry level" full frame camera.  I'm being careful here because full frame cameras are all pretty good.   "Entry level" for a full frame body isn't the same as "entry level" for crop frame.  Still... if you didn't like the 5D classic then I'm worried you might not like the 6D.  It doesn't have the build or performance of a 5D III.

I would probably steer you into a 7D II given that while you WILL get the full frame "angle of view", to get that difference you're going to get a downgrade in in the focus system, shooting performance, feature differences, etc.

You could always rent a 6D for a week to see how you like it.  I'm guessing the experience will likely confirm that you're happier with a 7D II.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

If you don't like the 5D you're definately not going to like the 6D.  Don't even bother renting it.

But if you just bought a 7D2 and are looking to make another major camera purchase then you must have some amount of budget.  Is a 5D3 out of budget?

Having two of the same camera sounds convenient, but I'd love to have a 7D2 to compliment my 6D.  Crop sensors are great, until you want the best high ISO performance you can get, then it's nice to have a FF.  And having an alternate FOV camera body is just icing on the cake if you like to use primes.

Not so much a case of having a large budget as having to have a back up camera.  My 30D's are both pretty old, although I did have the shutter mechanisms replaced in both in the last 12 months.  I just hate to be shooting such low megapixel bodies as backup for the 7D MkII.  To be honest, I haven't used the new camera enough to be sure how I like it yet. Have not shot anything through my big lens or had anything printed (big or small yet).  I do like the ergonomics when equipped with the battery grip (good size and heft).  Would prefer that it was a dedicated still camera as I use dedicated video camera for video, and don't need the extra complication of video in my still cameras.  I like the idea of the shallower depth of field and wider angles of view when needed that one gets from the full frame cameras.  Will be looking for gently used or refurb for whatever my second body is.  Will certainly borrow from CPS before purchasing.

There is always the EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM or even the EF 8-15mm f/4l USM.  Pretty wide FOV in anybodies book.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... but just purchased a 7D MKII"

Buy another 7D Mk II.  It alwyas better to KISS.  I use four 1D series at every event I do.  No confusion!  KISS everytime!  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements